07. zappo's diner

━━Summer jumped into Steve's car, gripping her bag tightly on her lap. She yawned, bringing out her mirror and lipstick. Gazing at the sight of her eye-bags, they looked terrible. Of course, when it came to Steve Harrington. He didn't have eye-bags, which made her jealous. She grumbled and applied her light pink lipstick, as Steve was doing his own thing by locking the cabin.

    Steve placed his bag in the back seat and started the ignition. Summer gazed back at the cabin, as they pulled out of the long dirt driveway. A slight sad expression on her face before facing back the window, trying to get a little bit more sleep.

     That morning, they all agreed to meet up at a diner before school starts to grab a cup of coffee and some breakfast. Of course, Summer had no idea what they were talking about and noded in agreement with the other three.

     Summer felt exhausted from the her four hours of sleep and her restlessness from sleeping on the hard floor. Making her regret sleeping on the couch instead. But she somehow felt safe sleeping in Steve's bedroom. Usually she'd stay wide awake, whenever she stayed in a new place that wasn't home.

"Didn't sleep well?" He asked while smiling and turning on the radio at a low volume. As he brought the window down to bring in some fresh air.

"Obviously not," she scoffed with an upset tone to her voice and winced at the bright sun coming up at the horizon. Peaking through the forest.

"Alright, chill," he took out an cigarette and opened his window a bit. "We have a little while before school starts and who cares if we're a little late." The window blew rapidly, ruining his hair. Leading to him ditching the cigarette and throwing it out the window before closing it.

"Where are we going?" Summer asked as she yawned. Right now she needed caffeine and lots of sugar to wake her up. She shivered as Steve's car grew colder and she wrapped her jacket around her upper body to warm up. Today wasn't the day to wear a skirt, she thought while shivering and yawning once more.

"Zappo's diner," Steve replied to her as he dialed the heat up, to warm up the car. "We still have an hour before having to head to school and the cabin didn't have anymore food."

"What's that? Zappo's diner? You know, I could've starved myself until lunch. Hell, I could've slept in longer," she groaned in annoyance. She only became pissy when she was either bothered or was tired. This time is was both.

"I'm not letting you starve."

"Why not?" She asked with a slight smile and looked at him.

"Because you're already tired and starving yourself will make you even more tired. Then you'd get in trouble in class," he sighed. "Besides, you'd blame me for you getting in trouble."

"Fine, I won't starve myself."

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

      The two of them hopped out of the car and walked into the little diner. The smell of coffee, french toast, and pancakes felled the air. Summer's stomach grumbled at the thought of food.

"Over here!" Stacy yelled, forgetting that it was six in the morning and that people can't take yelling that early in the morning. Especially Summer who was exhausted, not as energetic as the others. But remembering that Stacy was drunk last night, made Stacy even more energetic.

     Steve and Summer walked over to the other two and sat down in the booth. All three of them talk about the night before and she slowly drifted back to sleep. Today was going to be a long day.

"Hey, Summer!" Stacy yelled before laughing, loudly. Folks around her shushed her and gave the groups glares. Even the waitress gave her a glare and looked annoyed at the group. If anything, they'd get kicked out of the diner real soon.

She sighed, " I would like a coffee with half & half creamer. A banana muffin and a blueberry strawberry smoothie." She gazed at the waitress as she noded and walked off with their orders. Summer's temper rising in annoyance. "Ok, what the hell?"

"Oooh, someone is angry," Spencer teased with a smile as he wrapped his left arm around Stacy.

"How can you three be so annoying and wide awake? It's six in the Goddamn morning!" She yelled back the three, exchanging glares from the people around them.

   The other three stayed quiet as they sipped their refreshments and small talked about school. Summer felt guilty about yelling but she had enough with everything. Everything was irritating her.

     The waitress came by and handed Summer her banana muffin, coffee with creamer, and her blueberry and strawberry smoothie. "Thank you," Summer hummed and quietly sipped her warm coffee. Slowly feeling for relieved and woken up.

"So Summer, the project is due tomorrow. Do you want me to take it home and write it tonight or do you want to work on it at lunch?" Steve asked while taking a bite of his omelette and toast.

"We'll do it at lunch, I don't trust you enough to take it home." She took a bite of her banana muffin and smiled. Summer didn't trust Steve. Considering that any projects Steve had got, he had failed. And if he didn't fail them, he lost them.

"Ok," Steve smiled and took a drink of his water. Stacy and Spencer giggled at the two bickering about the project and went off to talk about the school dance. The school dance that wasn't happening two months from now.

   Summer finished her muffin and looked around the diner. It grew quiet and has gotten slightly busier. "Um guys, what time is it?"

"6:40 a.m," Steve adjusted his watch before drinking more water and getting up. "We should get going." The four of them all got up and headed out to the cold air.

   Summer leaped into Steve's car with her smoothie and buckled in. "Come on, dingus. We'll be late for school."

"I'm coming, I'm coming. Geez, give me some time to buckle in and actually leave the parking lot."