Chapter 23

It was a "three cups of coffee before nine in the morning" kind of day. Have you ever had one of those? Where the idea of the day ahead is so daunting, so overwhelming, so exhausting to think about that it requires you to have far more caffeine than is healthy for your body?

It's almost like becoming a radioactive superhero. But instead of getting your super powers from a vat of green glowing acid, you get it from having too much caffeine that leaves you jittery, fast-talking, and having the WONDERFUL side effect of your brain feeling like it's on fire. 

In other words, it's almost not worth having those three cups of coffee, but desperation makes you forget the side effects until you've finished that third cup, and by then it's too late. So there I was, vibrating with caffeine and a patched-together date plan that was both unique, to satisfy Ace's request, and full of rebellion, which was just for me. 

It was full of the kind of rebellion that would make the cameramen and television show creators angry. So in short, I had planned the best kind of day. 

I slipped into a pair of ripped jeans, black boots, and a white shirt. A simple outfit. It felt like putting on my own skin after a week spent wearing someone else's. AH. HEAVEN. 

But before I could make a dash for the door, Michale blocked my path, pulling me to stand in front of the mirror. "Come on Michale! I look fine! I have places to be!" 

"Stop trying to run every time I try to add complementary pieces to your already beautiful self!" Michale said with a chuckle as I glared at him. 

"Your glares don't scare me. Allie has made me immune to the Falls Girl glares. Nice try though." Michale pulled back the top of my hair with several pins, grinning at my reflection in the mirror. "Don't scowl either! I'm just making a small adjustment. Just be thankful I'm letting you out of this room without covering you in sparkly accessories." 

I shuddered, clenching my jaw to keep myself from muttering a string of sassy comebacks. "Why aren't Cici and Jay with you?" I asked, realizing that the hair and makeup team was nowhere in sight. 

Michale smiled, eyes on his task as the morning sun snaked into the room, casting a warm glow across the wooden floorboards. "Because you seemed like you needed a calm morning. And that many amazing people in such a small space, staring at you, seemed like the opposite of what you probably want." 

I snorted. "Since when has that been an option? Normally I have to try and run out of the room before the others can force a pair of heels on me."

Michale took a step back, assessing his work. Then he pulled two hair strands away from the pins, using them to frame the sides of my face. My wild locks were out of my face but still free to fall around my shoulders in wild curly waves. Slightly taming my natural mane.

"Since you started taking this seriously," he replied glancing up at me for a moment before plucking up a small gold necklace from off the dresser and clicking it in place around my collarbone. The gold glistened beautifully against my skin. "You may pretend not to like the glamorous looks, but I can tell. It makes you feel... special, powerful. Which is the point of it all really. You, my dear, are growing."

Michale plucked up my beat-up duffle bag and handed it to me, his nose wrinkling at the worn-out material. "Here." 

I pulled the strap over my shoulder, ignoring his disgust. He had tried to get me to switch to a designer bag, but the idea of scratching up a nice bag was terrifying. I didn't treat items well enough to feel comfortable walking around with a pretty one.

Michale walked me to the door to my room, shooting me a raised brow. "I've put in everything you've asked. Just stay out of trouble and bring back that hoooooot, drool-worthy boy toy in one piece, okay?"