Chapter 47

There is something utterly deflating about having an audience for an argument. It's one thing to be fully aware that you are being watched while you emotionally fight someone else, but it is something completely different when you think you are alone, having your heart shattered and realizing that someone is watching it happen like a cruel spectacle from the shadows. 

There is a version of you that exists with an audience. You decide how much vulnerability is worth risking with people you don't know.  When someone is there, watching your life fall to pieces and you weren't aware of their presence, it makes you feel like a fool when your illusion of isolation is destroyed. 

When you were expecting privacy, and you are seen, you feel vulnerable and raw in a way that is a betrayal to yourself. Letting someone look inside of you when that is reserved for the people you trust. Those spectators skipped steps. They got a bonus look into you when you felt there was never any room for them to begin with. 

And it wasn't until I had slapped Decker, turned around and stormed off that I realized we hadn't been emotionally pummeling each other alone. Aiden stood at the far end of the hall, watching me stomp towards him in a rage of unfiltered feelings. 

And the sight of him left me half tempted to take my chances back with Decker. I barely managed to scrounge together enough sanity to keep walking. 

Aiden raised a brow in silent question, no doubt having seen me slap my boss across the face after he openly admitted to handing my father over to the reality tv mob on a silver platter. 

"Don't say a word," I growled. 

He held up his hands, honoring my request, pretending he hadn't just watched my life flame up in a dumpster fire for the second time. 

First he gets a front row seat to my dad coming home after being bribed with money. Then he watches me smack my boss across the face. Great work Delle. Gold star for the drama queen.

"Call this number," Aiden said holding out a card. I stopped and stared down at the slick black card with a blank expression. "You want someone watching Walker's door, right?" He glanced down the hall. "I'll watch the door. Just ask for Brandon and have him put it on my schedule." 

I raised a brow. "You aren't going to even pretend you didn't hear everything?"

He narrowed his eyes slightly. "And waste both of our times?" 

I scowled. "Fine... ummm... Th... thanks."

He nodded, looking as uncomfortable with receiving my thanks as I was at giving it. "We'll keep him safe, Delle. Just stop doubting that you can do this. And smack that boss a little harder next time." 

I took the card and left him to his creepy, yet helpful, hallway staring. Something that must have been a bodyguard requirement. Wanted: A scary shadow with a grumpy attitude that protects people. Requirement: A lot of creepy staring. 

"Delle," Luke called from the other end of the hall. I whirled around to find Luke walking towards me, having finally left Andrew's room. I glanced towards Aiden to discover that he had vanished, stepping out of sight with all the practice that came with his job. 

"How is he?" I asked, hoping that Luke wouldn't find Aiden nearby, hiding in some corner, making me look guilty by association. 

Luke ran his hand down his face, fingers unsteady. "Really pale. He doesn't look good." 

We fell into silence as we walked back towards Andrew's room. Luke's button down shirt sleeves were rolled up past his elbows, showcasing his tan tattooed forearms. His dark brown, shoulder length hair was wild, an untamed lions mane. But still had no less of a Jason Mamoa level movie star effect.