Chapter 30

Some people are always themselves. They are a single version that represents all of who they are. Others are several people rolled into one. They showcase a version for their family, a version for their friends, another for work, and so on. I was the first version unless I was undercover, trying to edit my words and mannerisms to keep from scaring unsuspecting villains. I was always myself. Myself to a fault, constantly getting into trouble when who I was, was considered unacceptable in certain— well most environments.

The Walker Boys were the second.

I had witnessed it in Andrew when he chucked off the Ace persona and smiled wider, laughed harder, and itched to say what was on his mind. While Ace was clever, polished and determined, Andrew was shyer and showcased his flaws and pains more openly.

And as Luke hung up the phone, finally allowing cameras into his house, I watched the transformation into his second persona begin.

"Okay, you have about thirty seconds to share how things work around here before my life gets thrown under a microscope," Luke snapped.

He turned towards a set of family photos and growled. "I have things to hide before they get here." Then he stalked off, muttering an irritated monologue, questioning why he ever bothered to answer his phone or let his brother into his home.

I glanced at Andrew, brow raised. "So... I take it the actor doesn't actually like acting?"

Andrew smiled but it didn't quite reach his eyes. "He likes taking on a role for work, not pretending to be the version of himself that our parents expect him to be."

Luke walked back into the living room, holding dusty photos of Andrew's mother and their father, wiping them down with a quickness that came with habit. Clearly, this wasn't the first time he had staged his home with the illusion of peace among cold family members.

"Rule number one," Andrew said, catching a photograph that Luke tossed him from a nearby shelf. "Don't mention that we are half brothers."

I glanced down at the picture in Andrew's hands. It was worn, and showcased a woman with bright eyes and wavy brown hair who smiled tenderly down at a twelve-year-old Luke. His real mother. He can't even keep a picture of her out in the open.

"Yep. I'm not planning on revealing the scandal that is my origin story until I think of the perfect way to scare the fancy off of our beloved family," Luke added in a dark tone. He glanced back at Andrew. "Um... dude. Might want to do something about your fight with Cuddly. I have some cover-up in the bathroom. Stash the picture in my bedroom."

Andrew smirked. "I'm guessing you have a stockpile of makeup because you get beat up regularly?"

"Hardy har har. Look who's talking." Luke rolled his eyes good-naturedly as Andrew walked off with the picture he was tasked with hiding. "Rule two," Luke supplied as he plucked up a remote. "While the cameras are here, I don't talk about my job. I can't afford to drop spoilers on the movie content I work on. So that leaves the questions you ask about me and my life to a pretty limited number."

He hit a button on the remote and suddenly all of the shelves below his television began to turn, tucking away his video games, nerd memorabilia, and movies. They moved until the opposite side of the shelves were showcased, replacing the charming details of Luke Walker and displaying trophies from his acting career— the generic things you would expect to find in an actor's home.

"What on earth?" I snorted, startled by the high-level deception. Who keeps a secret shelve behind their normal shelves so they can hide everyday things?!?

Luke shrugged, but his eyes remained dark as he watched the process. "I don't want strangers to know any part of me. I agreed to act before an audience, not sell of pieces of my actual self for public consumption."