[3] With Ups & Downs

The time was Lunch.

Aiko and Hina sat together at a small table in the corner of the cafeteria. They had been talking about whatever until Aiko realised and asked, ''Hey... How's that thing going with the person helping your dad?'' Hina hesitated and said, ''Well... I can't say anything about it... But I can let you know that I'm meeting with them again after school to discuss details and stuff.'', ''Oh... I don't mind, of course! But does that mean we can't walk home together?'' Aiko replied, glad for Hina but sad for not walking home with her. Hina hugged her and said, ''I'm sorry Ai! But no, I gotta head over as soon as I'm let out of class.'' Hina then smiled, reassuringly as Aiko exclaimed, ''Okay! It's fine, you can just text me after!'', ''Yep!'' Hina responded as they then kept talking until class.

~ After School ~

Haruto was looking for someone who could help tutor him as he had one last place to check. The empty Board Games Club room where the Events Committee had their Wednesday meetings. 

It looked like the meeting was over as Aiko was the last to pack up her bag and leave. When she did, Haruto caught her.

He exclaimed, in a rush, ''Saiduchi! I was wondering if you could help tutor me in English... I know we hardly know each other but it would mean a lot to me if you could spare some time to help me out...'' Haruto finished as he doubted that she'd say yes, but sure enough, she replied, ''Of course, Daisuke! If you have time, we could start this afternoon... at my place?'' Aiko said, not having anything else to do. Plus, she'd be helping a fellow classmate. Haruto bowed in thanks, exclaiming, ''Thank you, Saiduchi! I owe you for this!'' which Aiko brushed off and said, ''It's no problem! Again, if you're free... We could head there now? Personally, I have nothing else to do, so...'' she awkwardly smiled as Haruto nodded and followed her out of the school.

Finally having arrived, they got started. Aiko taught Haruto as much as she could until after an hour or so when Aiko then stopped and said, ''Hey, how about we take a break and grab a drink? Don't wanna exhaust ourselves!'' Aiko smiled as Haruto agreed, thanking her again.

When they headed downstairs, Aiko saw her father letting a friend in. She didn't care at the time and had led Haruto to the kitchen where she poured the two some fresh water. Haruto then said, starting the conversation, ''I seriously owe you for tutoring me, Saiduchi!'' Aiko thought for a moment and replied, ''Don't worry about it. The only thing you can do to repay me is to stop being so formal! We've been in the same class for like... 3 years now! Call me Aiko, Daisuke!'' Haruto smiled sweetly and added, ''Right... well, you can call me Haruto then. I'd say it's only fair!'' they both held in a laugh as they finished their waters and were about to head back upstairs.

That is until Aiko saw that the person her father was with was Haruto's father. Before they realised it, the two fathers kissed. Haruto and Aiko could only watch in rage, confusion, sadness and fear.

''Dad...?'' Aiko said, getting the attention of the two fathers. ''Oh... Aiko-! I thought you were studying with your friend...'' Kazuo said, surprised. Yukio then looked at Haruto and said, ''What are you doing here, Haruto? I thought you were studying at a... friends... house... Oh. I think I get it now...'' Yukio sighed, realising the situation. Aiko was speechless as Haruto quickly got his stuff and told Aiko, ''Sorry but I think I'm gonna go now... I'll text you later.'' then swiftly walked past his and Aiko's fathers, leaving through the front door.

Without saying anything Aiko, walked back up to her room, contemplating everything.

In her defence, she thought she and her father had a close relationship. The two would usually tell each other everything. So why not the fact he was secretly dating her classmate's father?

And despite Haruto knowing some people from the LGBTQ community in his school, he never would have thought his father was a part of it. Not that he thought it was wrong but he was just as confused as Aiko was. 

Feeling somewhat betrayed, the two avoided their fathers until the next day.