Nine

She watched the water fill the tub with anticipation. She could feel the steam rising and mingling with the lavender scents. She hooked her phone up to the Dot speaker in the bathroom and the soothing sounds of Florence and the Machine's Drumming Song echoed quietly through the bathroom.

She shed her clothes and stepped into the large clawfoot tub, her body submerging in the hot water and soothing her tense muscles.

With the main bathroom light out she was left with the dim lighting from the back splash. Her mother custom designed the bathroom herself when she moved in. She said she wanted it to be a happy place.

As Luna sank under the bubbles she realized that it indeed was a happy place. She'd freed her hair from it's halo braid and let the locks flow free in the water, rinsing away any dirt and oil residue from all the hair products and the rain she'd neglected to wash away.

She also let the water wash away the funeral, the school counselor, the watchful eyes of her peers. It was all gone and floated in the water drowning in her peace.

The peace was interrupted when she was yanked underwater but something she couldn't see. She felt like a tentacle had wrapped around her and was pulling her into darkness. She peered up desperately feeling like she was at the bottom of a deep pool. The light of her bathroom grew more and more distant.

She shut her eyes fearing what was to come.

When I found the courage to open my eyes, I saw nothing but darkness that made me feel like they were still shut. I attempted to call out for someone but my voice was trapped in my throat. I felt like if I tried to speak it would hurt. My heart thudded in my chest as I wished that I was back home.

I risked the pain and called out. "H-ell-o?"

Growling resounded in the distance. I regretted my decision instantly.

I could see something moving in the distance but I couldn't see what it was and I didn't want to.

Suddenly a green light appeared in the distance, right in front of me. I squinted in an attempt to see it but soon didn't need to. It rushed towards me at an inhuman speed, enveloping my body. I could see nothing but green and I felt like something was pulling my body again. I was sucked down back into the hole of darkness.

Luna thrashed in her tub for a while before finally realizing that she was safe. The hot water had run cold, leading her to wonder just how long she'd been in whatever that was. Her arms held on desperately to the edge of the tub just in case she got dragged under again.

She breathed slowly, trying to catch her breath and process what had happened, if that was even possible.

She wondered if it was a dream? Or maybe with her new power she transported herself to some scary dimension? Could she even do that?

Her aunt's hard knocks on the door brought her out of her thoughts.

"Luna, honey are you okay?" She asked from the other side of the door.

Luna contemplated telling her aunt what just happened and where she suspected she went but they were just starting out with this power. She told herself that it could have very easily been a dream. An anxiety dream brought on by the heavy news she'd received today.

Right, Luna thought, it's not everyday you find out you're in charge of the balance between worlds.

"I-I'm okay. Just fell asleep and slipped underwater." She told her aunt and herself.

"Oh, honey. I'm sorry, are you alright?"

She nodded even though her aunt couldn't see her. "Yeah, I'm alright. I'll be down in a second."

A breath of relief whooshed out when she heard her footsteps fade away. She checked herself in the bathroom mirror, running her fingers through her hair for tangles and checking her blood shot eyes.

She shook it off, put the incident out of her mind and wrapped herself in a warm towel. She pulled the plug from the drain and left the bathroom as if nothing happened.

Hey guys sorry about the long delay in update! Me, my four babies, and their dad all had COVID!!!! I don't know how the hell we caught it but it kicked our asses and it is not a joke (not that I thought it was before) so please mask up, glove up and stay safe out there! We're a lot better now but that wasn't for lack of lying in bed feeling like we were dying!