Eleven

When Luna stepped into the kitchen, Evie and her mother whispered furiously back and forth. They were careful not to disturb Tyler who was sitting at the table in content as he worked to finish his homework.

They noticed Luna step into the room right away and their argument ceased.

"What's going on?" She asked as she looked back and forth between the two of them.

"Tell her Evelyn. She has a right to make a choice." Evie nudged.

Her mother chewed her lip in apprehension before turning to her son. "Tyler why don't you finish your homework in your room?"

"Why can't I stay?" he whined.

"Tyler..." Evie called in a firm voice.

He grumbled something about not being a little kid anymore but obliged nonetheless.

Luna set her backpack down on the floor and grabbed a peach out of the fruit bowl. She bit into it, her tongue tingling at the sweet juice while she waited for someone to say something.

"Your aunt originally came her to talk to you about what you are but...she is willing to stay to help you learn to control your power. But that's only if you want her to." her mother finally said.

"It's entirely up to you, honey," Evie added.

Luna stood in contemplation before finally asking, "Why can't you teach me mom?"

"Because I can't Luna." it was all she could say. Evelyn wasn't ready to explain.

"Well, what happens if I don't learn? What happens if I just don't use them and be normal?"

Evie stepped forward with a grave expression. "Then you could seriously hurt someone else or yourself. This is old ancient power and you have to learn it so you can control it and protect it."

She set her peach down, suddenly no longer hankering for a snack.

She didn't feel like it was her choice at all. What choice is there to make when the options are do it or kill someone? There was really only one choice.

"What will I have to learn?" She asked.

"Everything," Evie replied.

"Then teach me." She said, "All of it."

Her mother came forward and set her hands on her shoulders. "Luna if you do this, if you take this power on there's no telling what this will mean for you. You could never have a normal life."

"What's the other option? Ignore it? That's your coping mechanism, it's never been mine." She said as she looked her directly in the eye.

Evelyn was taken aback by her words but never faltered. "But your father never wanted--"

"He's not here to have a say. He chose to leave so he gave up any right to an opinion. Especially one he's not here to give himself."

She was defeated because she knew that her daughter was right.

Luna was terrified. She was scared of what this meant for her and her plans for her future but she had no choice. She couldn't ignore it, it wouldn't go away if she did.

Her mother dropped her hands and walked away from the scene with tears in her eyes.

Luna was going to go after her but Evie stopped her. "It's okay, just give her some more time."

She wanted to pull her arm away and bolt up the stairs. She wanted to confront her and ask what was so wrong with her embracing who she was. In the past couple days, she'd developed so many new curiosities about the truth even after telling herself that she didn't need answers.

Although Luna was desperate for answers she took a deep breath and just let it go.

She tried harder to convince herself that she didn't need to know.

Her phone chimed in her pocket, providing a well needed distraction. She pulled it out and read the mysterious number that simply texted Hey.

She'd responded asking who it was when the phone flashed Sam's picture across the screen.

She smiled a little and answered.

"So did you tell the mysterious hunk yes? I hope so." She said right away.

"Yeah he's coming."

"Ugh good, you two were killing me stealin puppy glances." She could practically hear her friend rolling her eyes. "Good and don't worry you have me and Mavis on the case to get you lookin gorgeous. What are you going to wear?"

Luna shrugged as she plopped down on her bed. "I don't know jeans and a blouse?"

Sam let out a yell of frustration. "No, no, all wrong. I guess we'll have to get there early to raid your closet. I'm sure you have something cute in there that still has the tags on it."

"Does it matter how I'm dressed? Isn't he supposed to like me for me?" Her phone beeped in her ear and she saw a text that could only be from Aaron: Ooooo it's the ghost from the cemetery....

She smiled as she replied quickly: *Finger approaching the block button*

"Oh, girly of course he is but this is supposed to happen after you nearly slay him into cardiac arrest. So you be yourself but we'll make sure you're yourself in nicer clothes."

"What's wrong with my clothes?" Luna asked in mock offense.

"Nothing that can't be fixed sweetums." Sam teased.

Luna laughed.

"Just promise me something? Promise you won't get all shy and psych yourself out before you get the chance to know this guy. He might be a jerk or...he might be freaking amazing." Sam said on a serious note. "Just keep an open mind."

The phone beeped again: Okay, okay, just checking that it wasn't a fake number, I'm sensitive ya know...I'm also really excited for this saturday....

"Yeah, I know, I'll try." She smiled at her friends words while saving his number in her phone.