Four

She shoved through people who were having fun, who were happy, who got to go home to whole families. They didn't appreciate it, she knew they didn't because when she had it she didn't either. Then just like that it was gone and knew that everyone was waiting on her to become a basket case just like her mother. She wouldn't do it. Tyler didn't deserve to see that from Luna or her mother. He deserved normalcy and she would do her damnedest to give it to him.

She made that mental promise to herself as she burst through the double doors that were at the front of the school. Although she expected the sun that shone through her window that morning, she was met with more rain.

"Of course." She shrugged. Her jacket was tucked safely in her locker.

She stomped down the stairs and started towards home.

She didn't make it far before a shiny, red four door pick up truck pulled up beside her. The window rolled down and the guy she'd met at the funeral offered her a warm smile.

"Are you following me?" She instantly said, irritation dripping from her voice.

He laughed a low laugh. "I was in the area on business. You look like you could use a ride. Or a towel?"

She deadpanned.

"Okay, okay. But seriously, I can take you wherever you want to go." he said, shouting over the pouring rain.

"I'm sure plenty of people heard that before they wound up in a hotel missing an organ."

She started to walk again but he lifted his foot off the brake to allow the car to slowly follow after her. "I won't kidnap you. I promise."

"I'm sure they heard that too."

"Hey come on now, you'll catch a cold. Can't have that on my conscience."

She stopped to look over at him, really seeing his eyes.

"I won't hurt you." Even though he whispered it, she could hear his words so clearly. They wrapped around her and for a second she forgot it was raining. A cold chill ran down her spine as she rounded the front of the car and climbed into the passenger seat.

Though she was trapped in the confines of a car with him, she scooted over as much as the seat would allow her, ready for anything. When the door was closed he pressed a couple of buttons and a warm blast of air hit her hard. She waved her hands in front of the vents, trying to warm them up as quickly as possible.

He reached back and grabbed a towel that he had in the back seat for work. He gave a quick discreet sniff before handing it to her. "Chloroform free, I promise."

Luna chuckled but kept the rag away from her nose anyway, just in case.

He sat there, watching her until she side eyed him, "Are you gonna drive?"

"Shit, yeah. Sorry." he chuckled awkwardly as he pulled away from the curb.

Her cellphone vibrated in her back pocket, she spilled it out and silenced the call from Matt. She silenced it again when Sam's name and picture flashed across the screen.

He wanted to ask what was wrong but he had the feeling that he wouldn't get a real answer. "So while you're here...would ya mind tellin' me your name?"

"My name?"

"I mean I told you mine that day at the cemetery but I don't remember you giving me yours."

She resisted the urge to smile as her house nearly came into view. "You can stop here."

"Okay, okay,...that's a little weird but I can work with that. Maybe we can come up with some sort of nickname or--"

"No, stop the car here." She said, actually smiling.

He hit the brakes and pulled over onto the shoulder, just behind a parked car. She got out quickly but before she closed the door he called out for her to wait.

She stopped and looked at him.

"Look I know what it's like to lose someone close to you and trust me, after a while you'll be okay." He said with a soft smile.

She smiled back. "Luna."

"What?"

"My name...it's Luna." she replied.

"Luna...I like it alot better than 'You Can Stop Here.'" His smile grew wide.

Luna chuckled. "That's a shame. I was thinking of changing it."

"No, don't. Luna is perfect for you."

She didn't know what to say so she thanked him and shut his door gently because starting the walk towards her home. When his truck vroomed past her she turned down the walkway and unlocked the front door.

The house was quiet when she stepped inside as she expected it to be. Her mother's things hadn't moved from its place but the cabinet with their good glasses had been left open. She huffed towards the living room where her mother sat in front of the tv, watching some cooking show.

The bottle of wine was already half empty when she grabbed it off the table and ran with it to the kitchen despite her mother's protests. She uncorked it and dumped it down the sink.

"You can't do this. Not again." Luna said when the contents were gone down the drain. "You have to get up and you have to go to work and you can't fall apart again."

She didn't know what to say, Evelyn just stood there in her oversized sweater and stared down at her daughter with the early stages of a blank expression on her face.

"You can't, mom. You have to try...not for me but for Tyler. He shouldn't have to see you like this." Luna said as she discarded the bottle.

Evelyn ran her hands down her face. "Ah, you're right. Y-you're right." She half slurred. "I-I have to pull it together for him. I'm s-sorry."

She grimaced her mother only for a second before she hid it away with fake relief. "It's fine. Go upstairs and rest, I'll start dinner."

She did for her brother what no one was there to do for her, she had to snap some sense into her mother so she could keep it together. Luna was so young when everything happened and Tyler was much older, which meant that watching his mother like that would scar him into early adulthood.

And she couldn't have it.

Hello everyone I just want to thank you guys so much for reading Incubus for the first time as well as this time, It's come a long way and so much has changed, I just can't even begin to express my gratitude! I hope y'all had a great Turkey day and don't forget that my other novel Bitten Addiction is on Amazon and Kindle Unlimited for purchase! Head on over to my profile and take a sneak peek at the chapters that I have posted!