chapter 7

Gabriel exited the room, leaving the two of them alone. Adrien quickly sent a text to his friends, then sat on Nathalie's bed next to her and he leaned his head on her shoulder.

It was a wonderful feeling to see how comfortable he felt doing that kind of thing nowadays. Gabriel wasn't the touchy-feely sort, and Nathalie had always stayed professional, so since Emilie had died, poor Adrien had been rather starved for physical affection. But things were changing in the household, and definitely for the better. It was amazing what one delirium-induced word could spark.

"Looking forward to today?" Nathalie asked, putting her arm around Adrien.

He snuggled closer a little. "Very much. And they're all looking forward to it as well."

"I'm glad to hear that."

"I know Father will like them if he just gets to know them. And he promised he would." Adrien gave a very happy smile. "Thanks, Nathalie."

"I didn't do anything."

"Yes, you did. You can't hide anything from me."

I wouldn't bet on that if I were you, Nathalie thought. But she could hardly say it out loud. That might lead to some awkward questions. She highly doubted Adrien would work out just from that comment that his father was a supervillain, but all the same …

"You know you are family too." To her surprise, he kissed her on the forehead. "Father and I would be lost without you."

For a very long moment, Nathalie was speechless.

"Thank you," she finally managed, and then adrien  added teasingly, "Mom."

"I'm never going to hear the end of that, am I?"

"Nope." Adrien replied

"I was delirious! … The first time."

Nathalie placed one of her hands on his. "Seriously, though, Adrien … thank you. That's very sweet of you."

"It's totally true. I love you." It wasn't the first time Adrien had said those words, but they still gave her the same warm fuzzy feeling, they had done when she had realised he had not thought she was Emilie when he had first uttered them. "And I know Father does too."

Nathalie believed that, but it still caused her an ache to know it wasn't in the same way she loved him. But there was no need for Adrien to know that either. So, she just smiled, cuddled him closer and said the words back to him.