Chapter Nineteen

AUTHOR'S NOTE: if you get tired of waiting for new chapters, the entire book is for sale on Amazon in print and on Kindle!

Chapter Nineteen

The dragon roared again, shaking the ground so that garbage came tumbling down in little avalanches all around us.

"A trash dragon, to be precise," Uncle Junk said cheerfully. "It hoards garbage the way other dragons hoard gold. Much more sensible, if you ask me."

I held up a finger. "I think I've changed my—"

"Well, come see me when you get the treasure" said Uncle Junk. "Have fun!"

"No, wait!" I yelled, but I was too late. Uncle Junk turned on his heel, vanishing around the Corner and leaving us alone.

"Oh, you've got to be kidding me!" Ethan screamed at the empty air where he'd just been. "You son of a—"

"Ethan, look out!"

I tackled him half a second before the dragon's foot came crashing down, and we rolled together across the filthy ground. Hauling Ethan back to his feet, I took off running with him right behind me, and we ducked behind a pile of trash.

"This is why you don't agree to favors without knowing what they are, Henry!" Ethan yelled.

"Shut up," I snapped, poking my head around the side of the trash pile. "This is...This is fine!"

The dragon growled, vibrating my bones like an obnoxious car stereo.

"How is this fine?" Ethan whispered. "It's blocking our way out!"

He was right about that, at least. It must have seen Uncle Junk disappear around the Corner, so now it knew where our escape route was. It sat down, nearly causing an earthquake in the process, and waited.

I shrugged. "So what? I'll just get it to move."

"Can you even fight a dragon?"

"Anyone can fight a dragon," I told him, whipping out Splatsy.

"Okay, but can you fight one and win?"

Good question. I peeked out at it again. "I don't have to beat it. I just have to get it away from the Corner so we can go through."

"And how do you plan on doing that?" Ethan asked. I grinned at him, and he rolled his eyes. "Right. Stupid question."

"Stay here," I told him. "I'll lead it away and then come back to get you, okay?"

"Okay." He nodded.

I took a deep breath. "Okay."

I began to step out from behind the trash pile when he caught me by the arm.

"Oh, and, uh..." he said. "Don't die, all right?"

I smiled. "I'll do my best."

He blushed a little. "I mean, I can't cut the Corner by myself."

"Aww, you really do care!" I fought the urge to pinch his cheek. "You're adorable."

He glared at me. "I changed my mind. It can eat you."

I laughed, and then darted around the trash pile.

"Hey, stinkosaurus rex!" I yelled. "Over here!"

The dragon's head snapped around to look at me, and for a moment I saw myself reflected in its gigantic green eyes. It reacted faster than I would have thought a monster that size could, opening its mouth...