4, 𝘧𝘢𝘪𝘭𝘶𝘳𝘦𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘴𝘶𝘤𝘤𝘦𝘴𝘴𝘦𝘴

Diana was very competitive

She had always been. Whether it was a normal board game with her friends, a camp competition, or competing for a prize. She was always competitive, and she almost always won.

A fishing competition at camp would be no different, even if she had decided to team up with Lisa for counselor and CIT bonding experience, despite her having no fishing experience.

Diana regretted her decision almost immediately when Lisa tried to cast out her reel, and somehow threw the pole in as well. But, Diana was nothing if not a good teacher, and she was perfectly willing to teach her the proper way to cast out.

"Ok," Diana began as she carefully scooted closer to Lisa in the canoe. She took the new pole from her hands momentarily so she could demonstrate what to do. "First things first, you bait your hook."

Lisa nodded along as Diana grabbed a worm from their small container and stabbed it onto the hook.

"Oh my god," Lisa breathed out. "You just murdered a worm."

"Yeah, and you get to go next." Diana smiled as she handed Lisa the pole she had originally been using so that the girl could bait her own hook. "Ok, just pick up a worm and put it on the hook."

Lisa nodded as she grabbed the worm, wincing slightly in disgust as she did, and shoving its body through the hook.

"See?" Diana asked, a praising smile on her face. "That wasn't too hard."

Within seconds, Lisa had turned around, now leaning over the canoe and threw up into the lake.

"Ok, so maybe you won't do the baiting anymore. Thank God I didn't try to make you gut the fish."

Lisa turned back to her quickly, a shocked look on her face. "What do you do with the fish?"

"Well, we wouldn't do it in this situation because it's only for a competition, but if we were gonna eat the fish we would have to gut it." Diana explained. She then began to carefully explain to Lisa the proper way to cast out her line, without throwing the pole overboard.

After a few failures, Lisa had successfully cast out her line, and the two of them were now patiently waiting to snag something for over 2 hours.

"How long does this normally take?" Lisa asked.

"Depends. Sometimes the fish are more willing to bite and it goes by a little faster, other times it can take over an hour to get a good bite."

Lisa sighed in disappointment at the answer before standing up.

"What are you doing?" Diana asked. Lisa didn't answer her right away, and instead tried to carefully reach over to where they had drinks in a cooler.

"I just need a drink." She answered as she stepped closer, and closer once again when she couldn't reach it.