Chapter 9: Enemies Return

Enemies Return

"I see you still have your brats with you," Zabuza's mocking voice fills her ears as the thick fog covers them, "Especially that one, he's shaking!"

(Y/n) takes a look to her left, Sasuke was indeed shaking. His hand was trembling as he tightly gripped the handle of his kunai. But, (Y/n) turns her head to face Zabuza, knowing that Sasuke wasn't trembling in fear this time.

Zabuza's clones appear before them, enclosing them in their circle. (Y/n)'s grip leaves her whip's handle and grabs onto one of the kunais in her belt's pouch. If Zabuza attempts to attack at close range, she would have to switch her weapon, just as Kakashi had taught her.

"I'm shaking from excitement," Sasuke's voice breaks through the mist as the clones turn into puddles in an instant. (Y/n) could practically feel his smirk. She replicates his smirk, she could tell how much he had grown in the past seven days. I hope I've grown too.

She turns to face the middle of the bridge where Zabuza and that boy who had saved him were standing. Her team was standing in front of her along with Tazuna. Her eyes stare down at the two men. Zabuza's eyes lock with hers. Her heart tightens as the hairs on her neck stand. She grips onto her hoodie as a wave of pain hits her.

It felt like that time in the forest when the creature had pinned her body against the ground. She looks away, taking in a deep breath, trying to clear out the black spots forming in her vision. Why this now? It hasn't happened since seven days ago, so why now?

"(Y/n)," a sharp voice calls her attention and she turns to face Kakashi. His eyebrows were furrowed, confused, as he stares down at her, "Get in position."

She gives him a quick nod before stepping in front of Tazuna. Kakashi had told her that due to her lack of chakra, it was best for her to keep away from the fight and use her skills to protect the bridge builder. She didn't argue with him.

Her expression stays still as Sasuke and the boy, Haku, go head to head. She intensely watches as Haku tries to attack him by doing a jutsu with one hand, but Sasuke outspeeds him, kicking him in the chin. Haku flies back but quickly regains his footing.

"Wow, Sasuke is so cool," Sakura whispers in awe. (Y/n) didn't have to look at the pinkette to know that she was madly blushing. (Y/n) keeps her eyes on the fight, ignoring how tight her chest felt.

"I can't have you calling my team brats," Kakashi states, glaring down at Zabuza, "Sasuke is the leaf's number one rookie, Sakura is the brightest in the village, (Y/n)'s taijutsu's skills are above her class, and the other one is...the show-off, hyperactive, number one loudest ninja in the village."

A small smile tugs at her lips as she thinks of Naruto. He was in fact the loudest person in the village. He would kill them if he found out they were fighting without him. However, any sign of the smile disappears when Haku forms a jutsu, trapping Sasuke in a prison of ice mirrors.

(Y/n) takes a step forward to go help, but Sakura beats her as she runs towards Sasuke, throwing a kunai at the mirror. Haku extends his body out of the mirrors, grabbing onto the kunai when he's suddenly knocked out of the mirror.

"Naruto Uzumaki, has finally arrived!" a familiar voice shouts in victory. Wide eyes stare at him as he goes on about being the main character of a story and that he was late because heroes are always late. Zabuza annoyed at the situation, throws a kunai towards Naruto's direction.

However, it never reached him, as Haku's own shuriken stopped the kunai. Zabuza looks back at the boy, wondering why he had done that. Haku stares down at Naruto, "These kids, leave them to me."