Chapter two

After a week of hoping and nothing happening you finally mustered the courage to strike up a conversation yourself. After placing a substantially bigger order than usual, giving you more time to talk to Mr.Solomons while the baker was collecting your request, thinking you could probably share the extra bread with the girls at the switchboard station, you went for it.

"That's quite the majestic beast you have there, a lovely dog really. What breed is he?" You asked. Days of thinking what to say and this is what you said? Even you were disappointed in yourself. He was defiantly going to ignore you, but after a few seconds he replied.

"He's a bullmastiff mutt I reckon. Found him on the street when he was runt"

You smiled and Alfie had never seen anything more beautiful. "I thought so but I wasn't sure, that's very sweet of you. He seems to be wonderfully trained"  you told him.

Alfie chuckled to your surprise "Ha, looks can be deceiving love. Very well behaved till he sees a squirrel in Hyde park. Fucking Hell, pulls like a mad horse then."

You laughed and Alfie found it truly lovely to hear you laughing so genuinely. It wasn't something he was used to with most people being too scared of him to genuinely laugh at his jokes.

"Must be quite a challenge with a dog that size" you said as the baker gave you your order.

"Nah it ain't the size that's the real problem. He's an idiot. Would never find his way back if he ran away" Alfie said as he affectionately petted his dogs head.

You chuckled  "No that can't be true"

"Sure is, tripped over his own feet this mornin'" Alfie stated

"But you love him anyway, don't you"

Alfie chuckled again and looked down at his drooling dog looking back up at him. "Yeah, that I do" he said.

You found it very sweet to see how much these two clearly loved each other. The bond between man and dog, just wasn't anything like it.

Meanwhile the baker was patiently waiting to ask Mr Solomon what he would like for quite a while now but he wisely decided that it might be better not to interrupt this conversation.

"What's his name ?" you asked

"Cyril"

"Could I pet him ?"

"Course, he's always had a soft spot for beautiful ladies" Alfie said.

You blushed and Alfie found this extremely adorable but he didn't let that show. While letting the dog sniff your hand, Alfie nodded his head at the baker meaning he would like the usual. You gave the dog's ear a good scratch and Cyril closed his eyes leaning into your hand clearing enjoying it.

"You're good with dogs ain't ya?" Alfie noted

"Well I did grow up with them, had more dogs in the house than siblings. My father would bring one home every other year or so for as long as I can remember " you told him

"Your mum must have loved that" Alfie replied

You chuckle "It's a miracle she didn't cut him. I think every house in the street could hear it when he brought another one home but I know my mother secretly loved the dogs just a much as he did".

Alfie was so caught up in looking at this lovely young lady petting his slobbering dog with so much kindness in her eyes, he completely forget to say anything. It was you that noticed the baker was waiting to give Mr.Solomons his order. "I think your orders ready sir"

That snapped Alfie out of it. "Course, thank you" he said and grabbed it.

"I should get going, wouldn't want to be late for work. Thank you for introducing Cyril to me" you said smiling at him.

Alfie nodded and opened the bakery door for you as you both stepped outside. You started walking off towards your work but after a few steps you turned around.

You saw Mr.Solomon still standing in front of the bakery looking at you. You walked back to him and decided then and there that it didn't matter that the baker seemed to be terrified of Mr.Solomon. A man who toke in a street dog and love him as much as Mr.Solomon did couldn't be that bad.

"Y/N" you said

"What?" Alfie asked

"My name is Y/N"

"Name's Alfie. You're not from around here are you?" Alfie asked smiling. 

"No, I am new to the city. Only been here about a month" you said.

Before he consciously knew it Alfie had already asked if he could see you again. Before he could regret it he had already suggested going for a walk in Hyde park Sunday afternoon with Cyril as it seemed the dog had taken quite a liking to you. Of course it wasn't just the dog. You could meet in front of this bakery again.

"Yes, I would like that very much" you answered him with a smile before quickly walking off to work knowing you would defiantly be late today but not caring in the slightest.