Chapter four

Alfie was talking the lead, deciding which street you would turn into and what route you would take to Hyde park. You were confused, being pretty sure you were making quite a detour but you didn't question him. You walked side by side with Cyril lazily strolling between you.

"What do you do for a living Alfie?" You asked without thinking about it. It was usually the first question you asked someone when you met them, but you regretted it immediately. You weren't sure if you wanted to know the answer.

"Um ... I have a bakery" Alfie eventually said

"A bakery?" You questioned

"Yes, a bakery" He didn't mean to be defensive, it was just a habit.

"Just wouldn't take you for a baker" You said. You didn't believe a word of it. A baker that always had a feint smell of rum on him? A baker who went to another bakery to get his bread? No you didn't think so, but you didn't inquire further. It didn't matter. You didn't care for what he did for a living.

"And you love? Where do you hurry off to every morning?" Alfie asked.

"Oh, I work as switchboard operator" you said

"Didn't know they hired women for that"

"It's almost only women that work there now. They replaced most of the men recently"

"What for?" Alfie asked

"They concluded that most people preferred hearing a woman at the other end of the line instead of a man" you explained with a cheeky smile

Alfie smirked "I can't argue with that. They would have been fucking idiots not to hire you".

You could feel yourself blush.

"Ow no, I got the job thanks to my aunt. She knows my employer" You clarified

"Sounds likes she takes good care you" Alfie said

"She really does. I couldn't thank her enough for all she's done for me. I'd be completely lost in London without her. You might know her she's head nurse at the Jew's hospital." you said

"Your aunt is Ruth Eifman? "Alfie asked surprised

You nodded

"You're Jewish?" Alfie asked

You chuckled nervously "Yeah I guess. I don't know"

"You don't know?" Alfie questioned raising one eyebrow

"Well I wasn't really raised Jewish. My mother was Jewish but my father wasn't." You explained

"Ah another good Jewish woman stolen by a Christian" Alfie sighed

"Well I wasn't raised very Christian either "you said.

"Still if your mother was Jewish. You're a Jew." Alfie stated

"I know that's what my aunt says as well because I might not feel very Jewish but if you know my aunt ..."

"She is extremely Jewish" Alfie finished your sentence.

You nodded "Yeah you could say that again. I've been going with her to the synagogue every Friday for Shabbat. She's been teaching me how to make traditional challah bread. She is even had me read the Torah. Grooming me to be the good Jewish wife she wants me to be" you told him.

Alfie nodded, not knowing what to say.

"I've at least convinced my aunt to give me some time before she introduces me to every eligible Jew in London. I've asked her to let me get used to life in the city and educate me about the Jewish culture I should have known about." you said feeling a bit self-conscious.

You knew your mother was Jewish, you had always known but you weren't quite aware of what that meant. Since moving to the big city, you felt quite over-whelmed with your religious aunt noting all things your mother should have taught you. Still you were thankful that the Jews in Camden had given you a community. The big city would be lot lonelier for you without them. They really did feel like your family away from home and even if you felt quite incompetent sometimes.

"Any man would be lucky to have you as his wife" Alfie said

You could feel your cheeks flush.

It was true. Alfie could see it. You were kind and attentive. You had a contagious smile that even he couldn't reset. There was absolutely nothing about you that reminded him of the work he did and it lowered even his well-built defenses. Of course, you were beautiful too. Anyone could see that and on top of all that you were Jewish. Alfie could almost hear his mother squeal in joy from the afterlife. This woman was everything she would have hoped for her son. He knew he didn't deserve you, but it sure was nice to dream.

Then it started to pour. Heaven had opened its flood gates and decided to drown London after all. Alfie, Cyril and you ran for the nearest cover, but by the time you found it you were drenched.

________

As the sky cleared up Cyril shook his body, water flying of his fur splashing both of you. Alfie cursed. You laughed. You didn't go to Hyde park but ended up heading back to Camden town. Alfie walked you home. You realized how improper it was but you couldn't help yourself and asked Alfie if he wanted to come inside to warm up with a good cup of tea. Fully expecting him to refuse, he didn't. You ended up talking the rest of the afternoon, eating biscuits and drinking tea. Mr. Solomons was the perfect gentlemen, except for his langue of course but no one is perfect. It truly was one of the most unbelievably beautiful Sunday afternoons.