Chapter three

You couldn't believe your luck. Today happened to be the one day of autumn the heavens decided not to pour down on London. It was chilly but you could feel the sun shining on your face for what felt like the first time in forever so you hardly noticed. It was an unbelievably beautiful Sunday afternoon, better than you could have ever hoped for.

There was a spring in your step as you walked down the Camden road. You could feel your heart beating just a tad faster than usual and the anticipation building in your stomach. You had been looking forward to today all week. The girls at the telephone dispatch station you worked at had even started to lightly tease you about it, clearly noticing you being in a better mood than usual.

You had debated telling them about but in the end you had decided against it because you told yourself that you didn't want to be gossiped about but deep down you knew you just didn't want to say the name Alfie Solomons out loud. You were new to London and the name didn't ring any bells for you, but you had a unpleasant feeling it might for the them and you just wanted to live in unknowing bliss for little longer.

As you rounded the corner you immediately saw Mr. Solomons and his dog Cyril standing in the sun, patiently waiting for you in front of the bakery you met in a week ago. It was Cyril who noticed you first, turning his drooling head to you, his tail wagging. That made Alfie turn his head as well, clearly being lost in thought just a few seconds ago. You could see the right side of his mouth turn up slightly as he saw you. He really was very attractive standing in the sun, his black hat casting a shadow extenuating his jawline.

"I hope I didn't make you wait too long Mr. Solomons" you said

"Name's Alfie, please call me Alfie love" he replied

You smiled at him before your attention was drawn to Cyril who whimpered slightly, his tall wagging clearly waiting for you to pet him.

You chuckled. "I'm sorry who could I forget you, big boy" you said as you reached to pet his head.

"Fuckin clingy bastard, ain't he? Like I never pet him." Alfie said.

This made you laugh as Cyril closed his eyes, letting his tong stick out and leaning into your hand, clearly enjoying being petted.

"Ah I reckon being petted by me just ain't the same as being petted by a beautiful lady Innit friend?"Alfie said looking down at his dog.

"No, it clearly isn't" you teased.

This made Alfie chuckled in return "I'd have to agree with the bastard there, maybe he ain't as dim as he looks".

"Oh don't listen to him Cyril" you replied.

"Ah you're right. Shouldn't let me spoil such a lovely day" Alfie said.

"Don't worry Alfie, you certainly haven't spoiled mine yet".

God, you toke his breath away. Alfie had debated showing up today. He knew he shouldn't be talking to you. A lovely young lady like you didn't deserve all the trouble he would bring. While waiting for you in front of the bakery he thought about what he was going to say to you. How he would tell you it was a bad idea of him to have asked to see again. What excuse he would use to justify this, but then he felt Cyril's tail wag against his leg and he saw you. You looked happy to see him. When was the last time anyone was glad to see Alfie Solomons? He instantly forgot everything he had been thinking about.

"How about we get going? It's a decent walk from here to Hyde Park" you said

"Yah, good idea love" He replied

The baker had been nervously pacing around his shop. Alfie Solomons had been standing outside his bakery for a few minutes now. This could never be good news. Why was he standing there? Why hadn't he entered the bakery yet? What was that monster planning? The poor man nearly had a heart attack right then and there but before that could happen he saw you talking to Mr.Solomons, laughing with him , smiling at him. Ow god that poor, poor girl the baker thought once again. You probably had no idea who that man was otherwise you wouldn't be looking at him the way you did. He watched you walk off with Mr.Solomons with great concern.