Chapter 2

Chapter 2
*****************************

Preparation for the Ball

******************************

             "Princess Olive? Are you awake dear?"

         The light peaking through the window had awakened me a while before she entered. My room faced the rising sun every morning, it's the most peaceful way to wake. I prefer it over a dark room with a bell. That's how Annora awakens every morning on the other side of the castle. Perhaps that is the reason for her foul mood everyday. My maid Anika has knocked and entered the room. Without turning to look at Anika I only hum in acknowledgment to her presence. The sound of her feet clapping down on the freshly waxed wood floor heading towards the washroom is what I focused on. Water rushing into the empty porcelain tub fills the quiet space.

            "What time is the ball Anika?"

           "About noon, your mother has requested you and your sisters to go stroll the docks this morning while they ready the castle," Anika finally greets me at the side of my bed, pulling the blankets off me smoothly," I'm just going to freshen you up and have you dress in a simple gown. Those docks can be quiet dirty, please be careful so we don't have to wash up before the ball again?"

            I couldn't help but chuckle at her simple request and allow her to help me out of bed. I am very capable of doing it on my own, but I know she's trained properly and has to do these things in order to keep her position in the castle. It's considered an honor being able to serve the royalty personally. Anika takes great pride and joy being my personal maid, I do not make it hard for her. Once I'm up and out of bed with her leading me to the restroom I undress myself. Slipping out of my nightgown, leaving it on the wooden floor for her to grab.

          "Thank you Anika, always the perfect temperature," I hum happily as I sink my body down into the warm bath water.

         She reaches over and taps the hot kettle of water," I know exactly when to stop the boiling for you Princess"

          She sits on a stool in my bathroom politely looking away until I give her the confirmation to start washing my hair. Anika eagerly does so and starts soaking my hair with soap suds. My eyes close as her fingertips work against my scalp. After a while of bliss my eyes find our reflection on the mirror that's leaned against the opposite wall. Anika has long brown hair that's pulled back tight in a bun. I see that her hair might be curly when relaxed. Her little baby hairs curled sneaking out of the sleek look. She bends over me making sure my hair is thoroughly washed, wetting a plain dress of her own. Simple yet elegant, our maids dresses are not allowed to outshine ours. But her raw beauty could make anything she wore look nice.

"Anika you look beautiful today," I compliment my maid causing a small blush on her cheeks to appear.

"Princess please, you're too kind. You do not have to go out of your way to compliment my looks. Just being able to serve you is enough for me, the rest isn't necessary- actually if I may ask of you... Please don't pay me with such compliments. If your mother or father were to hear such things they'd have me kicked from the castle and I wouldn't be able to serve you anymore-"

"Anika, it's ok. I won't compliment you in front of others. But I never want you to underestimate yourself by serving me either," I turn myself around in the deep tub, facing her. She stops her rambling to meet my eyes. Her blue eyes spark with worry," you are so much more than my maid Anika. Your entire life has been here with me, there's more to life than this. I just need you to remember that"