Chapter 6

*************************************

                            Chapter 6

They're just Fairytales

*************************************

"The creature stalks its prey", my mother creeps through her room on her tippy toes,"talons the size of buildings!"

"As big as our castle?", Annora questions with a whisper.

"Its body, nearly", she winks at her through the darkness and spreads her arms wide,"with wings as long as rivers"

"Rivers are long", I mumble quietly.

"Teeth sharper than swords, eyes to see miles beyond, horns twisted to a point, nose to smell your blood!", her voice booms at the end causing Annora and I to shriek. Her hand places down on her belly and she laughs lightly at our reaction," the creature... far more beautiful than most. It was born to protect, to kill with honor, and fly with pride. It flies so high that the tip of its wings scratch the very sky above. Leaving trails of clouds in its wake and rain to follow."

"The creature... is it real mother?", Annora whispers.

"Of course it's real. I don't tell silly stories, my precious Annora," she sits down on the side of my sisters bed,"are you scared?"

"Yes", I answer for Annora, tucking my head further under my blanket,"I'm scared. I don't want it to smell my blood"

Mother only smiles and rises from Annora's bed to lightly sit on mine. Her hand returning to her swollen belly, rubbing idly.

"They can't harm you here", she assures us with a smile," nothing can hurt you here. Your father made sure of that"

"If we left... would they?",Annora speaks up once again.

"Yes", mother answers without hesitation,"you'd be hunted and executed immediately"

"Can you tell us another story mother?", I request,"I don't like the stories of the creature"

"Yes-"

She's cut off from my father in the door way. Instantly she's on her feet before him, with the light glowing in the hallway I couldn't make his facial expression.

"Ella, a word", his voice is stern with a warning,"girls get some sleep. We'll see you up for breakfast in the morning"

Father closes the door after my mother wobbles out with her pregnant belly.

Annora wastes no time in flying out of her bed and scooting me over in mine. She's under my sheets in seconds, shoulder to shoulder, temple to temple. Her breathing was heavy and uneven, the picture painted in both of our heads from the creature was enough to keep us up all night.

"What have I told you about this? They'll be exhausted in the morning and Annora has practice", my father disapprovingly sighs at my mother on the other side of the door."you've got to put an end to these stories Ella"

"I wish you'd let me do this. They deserve to know the truth"

"Somethings are better left unsaid"

"I can tell my children anything I want them to know. This is what they need to know"

"I won't have it. Not any longer Ella. No more stories before bed, leave that job to the maids"