Chapter 3

Brooke:
"Hey, Brooke, Will you stop?" Ashton's hand circled around my wrist, and he pulled me to a stop. We were both out of breath. I rested my hands on my thighs and tried to catch my breath. As I looked down, I felt a warm tear slide down my cheek and drop to the floor. Not again!
"Don't cry," he pleaded softly, and crouched down beside me. His finger brushed my cheek, and without thinking or planning it, I leant my head into his hand and closed my eyes.
"He's not worth it. Just forget about him." I was suddenly pulled into his strong, safe arms. I breathed him in. His aftershave mixed with his own scent was all I needed to calm down. I regained control over my emotions and smiled against his chest. Being wrapped up in his arms was my favorite place to be.
Ashton didn't care that I no longer spoke. He just cared about me and over the years I started to feel more for him.
Eventually, after what seemed like hours, yet still not long enough, I forced my head up to look at him. He grinned sheepishly, "You wanna ditch the rest of the day? We could go get our own weight in ice cream."
That was a total tactical move. He knew I loved ice cream and he was using it to get himself out of trouble. Well, you know you're going to give in! I smiled and rolled my eyes.
"Good. Come on then, little miss."
As we turned and walked along the path that led into town, Ashton grabbed my hand. My heart jumped as his fingers intertwined perfectly between mine. The gesture was probably nothing to him, but it made my heart race and made an idiotic smile a permanent feature on my face.
For the entire fifteen minute walk, Ashton's hand was wound firmly around mine. I didn't ever want to let go. I felt safe. Nevertheless, I kept my head down, hiding behind Ashton as we didn't want to be seen by anyone my parents knew. Dad wouldn't like it at all.
We finally reached the place that had the best ice cream around, Lucy's Cafe. Ashton and I spent so much time there, it was like a home away from home. We would chill in one of the booths and eat our tons of ice cream. It looked like your typical dinner-style cafe, with light blue walls and booths and tables. The atmosphere was warm, friendly, and welcoming.
"Oh, there you two are," Lucy yelled across the cafe. She was in her late forties and was one of the sweetest, friendliest, and most caring person I knew. The first thing I noticed about her was her new haircut. It usually fell just below the small of her back but was mostly pulled back. Now it sat on her shoulders and flicked under. It made her look younger.
"Take a seat, and I'll bring over your usual." She ushered us towards a booth by the window. It was the booth we always chose whenever it was free.
"Thanks," Ashton said, laughing as she fussed around, swiping up a crumbled napkin from our table. Everything had to be perfect for her customers that was just how she was. We had barely sat down when one of the waitresses appeared with a chocolate milkshake and chocolate ice cream for Ashton, and a strawberry milkshake and cookie dough ice cream for me.
I was just about to dig into my ice cream when I heard a voice that made me want to throw something: the girl that liked Ashton. No-name Meg-lookalike.
"There you are! You didn't say where you were going!" She exclaimed, throwing her arms up in the air. Liam walked over to our table with her and smiled apologetically. How did they even find us?
"What are you guys doing here?" Ashton quizzed them, his carefree expression turning to a frown.
The girl sat down next to Ashton. What was her name? I wanted a name to go with the jealous, ridiculous hate. She was pretty enough, but with the fact that she liked the guy I liked made her ugly to me. It was totally irrational, but that was how jealousy worked, isn't it? "Just wanted to grab a shake," she replied in her annoying whiny voice. "What would you suggest?" That you leave! "I don't know, Courtney," he huffed. Courtney. I didn't like it. Well, whatever her name had been, I wouldn't have liked it.
"Can I get a vanilla shake please?" Liam shouted across the room. Lucy frowned at him but nodded. She didn't like when you yelled for her attention, even less if someone snapped their fingers or tapped their foot.
I stopped listening to what else Liam was saying when Courtney grabbed Ashton's milkshake and took a long sip from the straw. What the...?
"So you've known Ashton your whole life?" I turned my attention back to Liam who had asked the question. He was smiling nervously. His lip pulled up in sort of a half-smile. I nodded to answer his question.
"You'll have to tell me some embarrassing stories about-" he stopped abruptly and looked horrified. "Err, I mean. N-not tell but, err. Oh, shit, sorry, I didn't think," He stuttered, grimacing as he tried to explain himself.
I smiled. There was something about him that made it impossible to be offended by him.
"Damn, I really know how to put my foot in it, hey?" He chuckled.
I shrugged and shook my head. It didn't bother me, actually. Of course not everyone would know how to act around me. I understood that he didn't really know what to say, and at least he was honest about it.
"Anyway." He shook his head and frowned as if he was yelling at himself in his head. "You should come to my party this weekend. Ashton's gonna be there." Was everyone having a party this weekend?
It wasn't often that I was invited out, but did I want to go? It wouldn't be much fun for Ashton if I were there. I knew he wouldn't leave my side all night. Maybe it would be fun though? If the other people going were half as cool as Liam, then perhaps I'd have a good time.
I nodded. If Ashton looked like he was bored, I could always go home early. All I had to do was get my parents' approval, but I would be with Ashton and they trusted him so it shouldn't be that hard.
"Great, I'll save a dance for ya," he said, winking at me. Whoa. Guys didn't wink at me all that often. I blushed and shifted in my seat, uncomfortably, not liking that kind of attention.
"You ready to leave, Brooke?" Ashton snapped. Go already? I hadn't even finished my milkshake or ice cream. I was about to shake my head until I noticed Ashton's face was tense with irritation. What did I miss?
He got up, and I took that as my cue to leave, even though I hadn't answered him. Ashton weaved around the tables quickly and almost jogged away. What on earth is wrong? I ran to catch up with him. As soon as he slowed and we fell into a comfortable pace, I raised my eyebrows at him. He understood what I was asking him.
"It's nothing."
Nothing? That was a lie. He shook his head, looking around to avoid me pressing the issue further, and I let it go. We walked on in an uncomfortable silence.
"So, you coming to mine?" He asked as we reached his car in the car park at school. I nodded eagerly; spending some time alone with him was definitely what I wanted, and I loved being in his home. Ashton's parents and his sister, Lauren, treated me like one of the family. I felt so at ease there and preferred it to being at my own house, no question. Ashton smiled at me, his eyes lingering on mine for a little longer than usual. My heart thudded.
"Hey, sweetie," Ashton's mum, Anne, welcomed Ashton as we walked through his front door. "Oh, hi, Brooke," she gushed, giving me a warm hug. Ashton mumbled something that sounded like hi and walked off to his room.
"What's wrong with him?" She asked, more to herself than to me. I shrugged anyway and smiled back at her. Anne always smelt of coconut; it was her shampoo. The smell was so comforting.
"You should follow Mr Happy. I'll call you when dinner's ready." She hadn't even asked if I wanted to stay for dinner, she just knew I would.
Ashton's room hadn't changed much since we decorated it when he was fifteen, two years ago. It was still the same shade of blue. He hated it now though, said it looked like a baby's room. I doubted he would change it anytime soon though, he was too lazy. Ashton was lying on his bed, his hands behind his head, just staring at the ceiling. His bottom lip was pulled between his teeth, the way it did whenever he was thinking hard. What had happened? I laid down on my side, propping my head up on my hand, and waited. After a few minutes, I became impatient, so I gently nudged him in the ribs.
"What?" He whispered, still not looking at me. I sighed and rested my head back, no idea what was going on.
"Sorry," he eventually muttered. But sorry for what? I hated it when he was obscure like. It wasn't often that he could hide something from me, but when he did it drove me crazy.
We lay beside each other in silence. The sound of his breathing was so soothing that I started feeling tired. Eventually, I gave in and closed my eyes. A few minutes later, Ashton grabbed my hand, interlacing our fingers, and then I fell asleep.