{Pt. 1} Shakeup [Maverick X Reader]

A/N: Yay! Finally a normally written part! Be sure to comment your feedback!

When you find yourself suddenly backseating with the very pilot you've always sworn you'd never want to fly with, what will happen after the pair of you share a near death experience? Will your views on him change? Will he realize that maybe a shakeup in partners every now and then isn't such a bad thing?

⇠⇢

You've always known what you are.

You're the one who they always rely on.

You're always in the backseat.

Doing your very best to keep the pilot in the front seat, up to date on any developing situations as you tag along, usually silent, other than your necessary callouts.

But not on this particular Mission.

In fact, you could swear you're beginning to lose your voice from the amount of callouts being made, your head beginning to pound with the mixture of G's, noise and the adrenaline of the moment.

The minute you had been given your sudden, new orders in what seems like hours ago now - your intrigue had been pricked, as well as your skepticism.

You had just looked at the higher ranking officer in front of you and then back to the paper, a light chuckle sounding from you.

"Where the hell is his usual backseat?"

"Bradshaw's transport was delayed due to a mechanical error. They're working to get him, and quite a few others, out here as soon as possible. But for now, you're needed to step in," The older man had explained, tone rather stern, his eyes narrowing. "Is that understood, lieutenant?"

You had nodded stiffly once more, vocalizing your understanding as he'd turned on his heel and left you on the flight deck, already clad in your flight gear, standing there like a confused and dazed animal.

"I'm seriously backseating with him. Of all the pilots on this damned ship... him?!" You'd muttered to yourself, turning and squinting against the bright sunshine, beginning to stride towards your last minute orders, keeping an eye out for the shorter brunet, no likely annoyed about the lack of his usual partner.

And as you neared the F-14, the sides of it clearly marked with it's usual duo's callsigns, someone falls into step beside you.

"So you're my last minute rear?" Maverick greeted with a slight frown, passing you a sunglassed glance.

"Will that be a problem?" You had retorted, not in the mood to let him gain any sort of possible leverage over you.

"Not if you do your job," He nodded with a grumble, striding ahead of you slightly, beginning the pre-flight checks.

You rounded the opposite side of the aircraft from the pilot, passing him an unimpressed look.

"I've heard you're one of the best backseats around here," Maverick continued, seeming to be trying to keep up the small talk as the pair of you worked away, almost as if you'd worked alongside one another a million times before.

"And I've heard you're one hell of a pilot - a pilot with an ego problem that could get us both killed."

At this, your partner had stopped in his tracks, a look of feigned offence gracing his features.

"Now I wonder where in the world you could've heard that!"

You'd shook your head, holding back a huff of laughter, scolding yourself for actually conversing with the man across from you.