Not So Lonely After All [Maverick X Reader]

A/N: This is a properly formatted version of the story I wrote to accompany yet another Top Gun ambience video I published to my YouTube channel! Also be sure to give the ambience a listen! It's at the top of this chapter!

Enjoy!

⇠⇢

Alone you sit - working away... waiting, maybe?

The light buzz of chatter and glasses clinking keeps you company until the doorbell of the small yet increasingly crowded bar grabs your attention, your head instinctively snapping up from the notebook you'd been scribbling in previously to seek out the newcomers.

As someone cues up some music and it joins the already lively soundscape surrounding you, in stride two men, clad in crisp, clean white uniforms, much like most of the other folks surrounding you.

It isn't uncommon for active Navy members to frequent this place, so the plethora of white doesn't bother you in the slightest.

Sipping on your ice water, you sigh, gaze retreating back to your work as the new duo comes to a halt down the bar aways from you, beginning their own drinks.

You figured that coming here would've helped with your inability to write - your report just isn't working.

It's been hours.

But yet, as you sit there, alone, at the bar, with the distant, teasing chatter of the group down the way joining your senses, you grumble inwardly, shutting your notebook and beginning to pack up the other few items you'd brought along.

Though before you can leave your stool to turn and head towards the door, the shrill tone of a microphone pierces the loudness around you, the area suddenly becoming much quieter.

And before you can even react, the same pair you had watched walk in earlier appear in front of you, with the slightly taller one stepping in front of the shorter brunet who was clearly trying to get your attention.

"Hey, hey, hey!" He scolds, shoving the man aside before turning to you. "Don't worry, Miss. I'll take care of this."

But then, the next thing you know, you find yourself surrounded by what once was a sea simply dotted with white, the brunet now ever so vividly, trying to win you over.

And as you sit there, blushing madly at all the attention and the suddenness of it all, you urge him to join you at your side, gesturing to the empty stool.

Cheers erupt as he grins broadly, thanking you and those around him with a nod, the sharply dressed men once more dispersing, including the blond one who was with the brunet, joining a woman down the bar aways, greeting her with a fond smile.

"I love that song," You chuckle, settling back into your seat, facing the man beside you with a soft grin. "How long have you two been doing this act for? I've never seen an approach quite like it."

At this, he shakes his head with a chuckle.

"Oh, I dunno. Since uh..."

"Puberty?" You suggest bluntly, though your tone carries a slight teasing to it.

"Right. Puberty," He frowns, though you huff a light chuckle, a momentary silence settling between you both. "I'm Maverick."

Now it's your turn to frown, the name falling upon your ears rendering slightly odd.

"Maverick? Did your Mother not like you or something?"

The brunet at your side smirks, a chuckle falling from his lips.

"No, it's my callsign."

Surprise pricks your thoughts as you quickly glance down at the pins adorning the left side of his dress shirt.

A set of golden wings sit there above them all, pinned with care.

"You're a pilot," You breathe, a sudden... fondness swelling within you.

"That's right. A Naval Aviator," Maverick trails off, grin not fading. "Y'know, I've actually only done this, uh, twice."

"Oh. How'd the first one go?" You muse, curious.

"Crashed and burned on the first one; it wasn't pretty."

You could swear the pilot at your side is somehow closer than he was before, your blush deepening as you sum up the courage to mumble your next words.

"And the second?"

At this, Maverick leans towards you slightly, a cheeky smirk tugging at his lips.

"I dunno, I'll tell you tomorrow, but it's looking good so far."

And as the music resumes it's comforting tones, you can't help but feel at ease, a newfound hum of life thrumming within you.

For once, you're not alone - even if it's just for the evening.