{Pt. 2} Shakeup [Maverick X Reader]

A/N: The second and final part to my previous oneshot! Enjoy!

Please be sure to comment your thoughts on this one!

⇠⇢

You're slower to come to this time, foggy recollections of... a helicopter? passing through your headspace.

There's something else there too, something you can't quite make out.

There had been people on either side of you - you can picture their helmeted and visored gazes resting on you with the slightest traces of alarm.

But... there was someone else...

Alarm blazes through you as you sit upright from where you'd been previously laying, eyes squinting against the unnecessarily bright lights above you, your breathing heavy with alarm.

"Pete," You hear yourself murmur, an urgency and fear swelling within you that catches you off guard.

But, you don't shove the urgency away, in fact, you run with it, clambering off of the whitewashed cot and wandering into the whitewashed hallway, no likely looking like a dazed and confused mess.

No one seems to be around on the infirmary wing, the steady hum of the ship's engines and occasional rumble of jets on the flight deck far above, the only sounds keeping you company.

That's when you notice the throbbing your left ear.

Stopping in your tracks, you step back against the wall, tentatively raising both of your hands to your ears before pulling them back, examining them beneath your gaze.

The slightest bit of red is on your fingers, evidently dried and crusted by the flakiness of it.

Though to your surprise, your hearing is better than it was, the sound of approaching footfalls nearing you gaining your attention.

Turning towards the source of the noise, you're surprised to see someone who you figured still wouldn't be aboard:

Nick "Goose" Bradshaw - Maverick's usual backseat.

His strides quicken upon laying eyes on your evidently dazed figure leaning against the wall of the infirmary wing, even though you manage a feeble wave in an attempt to assure him that you're fine.

Which, you do feel fine.

Just tired and achy.

"Look who finally decided to show up for work," You joke half-heartedly as your former classmate nears your side, shaking his head with a sigh.

"And look who's about to pass out from standing in the middle of the hallway," Goose scolds as he slings an arm around your shoulders, offering his side for support. "What the hell are you doing out here, C/N?"

You have no reply to the man at your side as he helps you back to where you'd came from, sitting you down on the edge of the cot with a huff.

"Thanks," You mumble, accepting the water bottle being handed to you with a nod.

Goose just nods wordlessly, taking a seat in the chair across from you, gaze meeting yours.

A few beats of silence pass between the pair of you, other than the steady hum of the ship surrounding you.

"Thanks for taking my spot," He finally speaks, a genuine gratefulness in his tone, though it fades for a moment, a frown twitching at the edges of his lips. "Sorry it became eventful."

At this, you just chuckle, shaking your head.

"Isn't every flight with that pilot of yours eventful?"