Chapter 2

ANASTASIA

ANASTASIA

I entered the cemetery.

And the moment I stepped foot inside the giant gates, the environment changed around me. It was a lot darker inside the cemetery. The sun was hardly visible, and it was the only source of light I had. These were the gates I once entered from, the same ground, the same person. . .

It felt like a stab in my heart when I recalled my mother. One day, when I was four years old, I saw a big wooden box laid down on our lawn. My aunt explained it was a coffin and my mother was inside it. When I asked why, she answered that my mother was an angel now, and she was never returning. Today was that same day, and it was the last time I would be visiting her. After tonight, I would never look back.

There were huge Oak and Maple trees all around the graves. The ground was wet but covered with dry leaves and foliage. The thick tree trunks were covered with mosses, and climbers wrapped around their skin like snakes. Few flower beds were on the corners, and they were left unclean. A few more years of abandonment, and it would turn into a beautiful forest.

There was a  marble pathway laid ahead for me to walk between the dead. The edifices looked clean or might be it was the rain that washed the dirt away most of the time. Some gravestones even had large metallic crosses. It looked agonizingly peaceful to watch.

I wiped the dry tears away from my pale cheeks and started to walk inside the deserted cemetery. The graves were silent and solemn, and I carefully plucked the roses out and kept them on each grave. They had no flower with them, and how sad it felt to me.

A little part of me was still thinking if I should just go back and enjoy a movie night with Claire. My mother was my weakness, and thinking about her always left me with unstoppable nightmares for nights.

No, you are here now, Ana, I reminded myself and gave no more thought to my denial.

I kept walking till I reached the particular grave I was searching for. Finally, after a little walk, I found the marble stone of the beautiful person who left me forever: