Chapter 4

ANASTASIA

ANASTASIA

"Mom! See, I made a painting!" The little girl smiled proudly at the elderly woman and held the messy sheet of paper.

"This is so beautiful, Ana," the elderly woman, Lilian smiled at her two- year old little daughter. Ana beamed with joy at her mother's compliment.

She took another white sheet again and decided to paint her mother's face this time. She always found her mother beautiful — like the fairy godmother about whom she read in a fairy tale. However, little Ana  could not notice the worry on Lilian's face.

The young mother was sweating continuously, and her visage bespoke seriousness. It looked like a heavy burden was weighed down her slender shoulders.

Ana did not observe her mother getting up from her bed. She did not observe Lilian creep out of the toddler's room. After a while when Ana realized her beloved mother was no longer beside her, she pouted.

"Mommy," she called softly and got down from her bed. Long forgotten was her unfinished painting, right now,  she only wished to find her mother again. She waddled towards the end of the corridor and heard some whisperings inside her mother's room.

"You should go, please," Lilian begged someone, it was a shadow Ana could not see well.

"Lily, don't dare," the other person warned. The voice was deeper, and it was not of her father's.

Little Ana had never heard that voice before. Yes, sometimes she heard that same voice from the monsters under her bed and the reflections on the mirror, but this time she was hearing it talking with her mother.

"Not now, please— my little daughter is right here. . ." She heard her mother's sweet voice turning into a pitiful whimper.