Chapter 3

ANASTASIA

ANASTASIA

Paranoid and petrified.

I was completely and utterly paranoid and petrified after meeting that strange man... Peter Stevenson.

I was shivering the whole moment, having an internal panic attack when he disappeared just like that... as if he never existed in the first place.

In front of me, the gates were wide open however, my feet were stuck on the ground. I was still unable to move, from the aftershocks of what just happened in front of my own eyes.

What the hell just happened?

I asked myself, again and again, wondering if it was a dream, and I was still in my apartment, on my cozy bed, and having a terrible nightmare. I wanted to wake up badly if it was a nightmare.

Alas, it wasn't.

Everything around me was so damn real.

I turned back again to face the graves behind me, making sure there was no one else. With huge difficulty, I lifted my legs and crossed the rusty gates of the cemetery. I had to leave their premises or else I did not know what could happen to me. The moment I stepped on the other side, the magical trance broke.

Shocking as it may sound, everything felt normal. There was no storm, no ghosts, nothing. From outside, the cemetery looked simple, just the way an old abandoned graveyard would look. However, I was the only one to experience what exactly it felt from inside.

I could not believe what just happened to me...

By the streets, the lampposts were lit by now. A part of me was relieved to find a source of light in the darkness. I brushed the remaining tears from the corner of my eyes, realizing that it was too late to catch a bus or cab back to Deolin. There was no way to return to my place by night. The thought exhausted me. Moreover my mind stopped functioning well after what just happened.  I was shivering and shaking from the events.

I straightened my black dress, and looked back again, hoping no one was there. Truthfully, I was so scared that I was imagining things, monstrous, deadly things. It was colder in Bilgonia, colder than usual, or maybe it was the climate in and around the place, I wondered and tried to calm my racing heart. I was still terrified of what happened, My mind was like a blank page, yet all I knew was that I had to get out from here.