The New Student

"Class, everyone, please. Quiet down. I SAID QUIET. Your teacher shouted, as everyone, who had been previously taking loudly, settled down back into their seats. Although, slight murmurs and whispers still remained. 

Your teacher, Mr. Liam, glared around the classroom until finally all voices were shut up. He cleared his throat, as he stood behind his desk, having only previously gone through marking the roll. 

"Alright... Now, I know this is only our second week of our second term this year, but I have to inform everyone here, that we have a new student. Instantly, the whispering started again once more, as everyone exchanged the news. The teacher only stood there, waiting impatiently for the talking to die down once more, before he continued. 

"This Student is new to the school, so it would be nice if people would try their best to support them, and help them get settled into the new environment..." He went on, as I turned to my friend, who was sitting next to me. 

He was making the talking motion with his hand, which nearly made you laugh, but you knew that would have ended with you being asked to stay behind in class. 

"...so, does everyone understand?" Mr. Liam asked, now finally finished on his explanation. 

"Yes sir." everyone said. 

"Good. Alright, Jess, you can come in now." Many eyes watched, as the student strolled into the room. She was a girl, standing just over 1.6 meters tall. She had clear blue eyes, and a brilliant smile. She was wearing a dark blue hoodie, and black jeans, as the school you went to did not have a mandatory school uniform. 

"Hello everyone! It's nice to meet you all!" She said in a cheery tone. You noticed something strange though. As she introduced herself, she seemed to almost be looking in your direction. As if she was addressing you only, but you quickly dismissed. You noticed that unlike most other new students, she did not seem nervous. In fact, she seemed confident, as after she finished introducing herself, she walked calmly down the aisle between the seats. 

You noticed that one of the other crueler boys, Michal, had stuck his leg out purposely, without your teacher noticing, but she simply dodged it easily. Not even batting an eye, as she sat down in a row towards the back of the classroom. You still felt like somebody was watching you. 

You looked behind you, to see Jess settling herself down. She caught your gaze and smiled sweetly, before you looked away again, blushing slightly. 

"Hey? Dude? You okay?" Your friend asked as they nudged you. You nodded in reassurance as you turned back to the teacher, as he continued on with the lesson. 

But you just couldn't keep the thought of Jess out of your head...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time skip...

The bell rang, signaling final class had ended. You sighed in relief as you got up. Packing up your things as you prepared to leave school after a day, along with the rest of your class.

After the teacher explained the homework, they let everyone leave, and as you were walking down the corridor, you heard mocking laughter.

 Creeping around the corner, you pocked you heard around the lockers, only to see Michal, the jerk in your class that had tried to trip Jess up when she first arrived. Speaking of Jess, you noticed her cornered against the lockers, a hurt and angry expression on her face. 

"Aw. What wrong you twit? Too scared to fight back?" He taunted as he flexed his arms. Showing off. You watched in horror of what he was doing. That horror quickly turned to anger, as you continued to experience his actions right before my eyes. 

You knew that bullying wasn't okay, but Michal was taking it a step too far... and before you even thought about what you were doing, you stepped out, putting yourself directly in the situation. 

"Hey. Michal. Back off." You demanded, trying to let yourself start shaking. Honestly though, it was difficult, as you weren't exactly the bravest kid in the world, but you couldn't let Michal get away with it. Now when you could do something.

Michal turned to face you, fists clenched. His look of surprise vanished the moment he saw who was facing him.

"HA! What might you be doing here Y/N-" 

"Y-you need to stop Michal." I stuttered. "Just let Jess go, and we can forget about this. I won't let you hurt her." You said, interrupting Michal. 

Jess looked massively shocked to see you, and it was very obvious to her facial expression that she hadn't expected you to stand up for her. 

"Huh, and why exactly would you be stopping me?" Michal asked as he took a step towards you.

Before you could respond, you heard another voice coming from down the hall. 

"Hey! Can somebody explain what's going on here?" Everyone froze. Our teacher, who had just been returning from the classroom, had taken notice of the conflict in the hallway.

"Michal! Would you care to explain?" asked the Mr. Liam. 

 Nobody said anything at first. Michal had a panicked expression on his face, as he struggled to think of an appropriate excuse. 

"I-I, um, er, ah." He stuttered, as Mr. Liam glared at him, before answering the question for him, by simply saying; "Michal. Come with me." As Mr. Liam walked off, he gave Jess a reproachful look before giving you a death stare as he walked off sulking. 

You breathed a sigh of relief, before you felt a hand on your shoulder. It was Jess. 

"H-hey, I just wanted to say thankyou." She said, looking at you with those clear eyes. You were slightly flustered by what she had said, as you simply responded with a; "I was just doing what anybody would do." It was very noble you admitted to yourself, before Jess responded with something you couldn't understand. 

"Oh, not you though. You're very special aren't you? Just as I thought. Your perfect..." She muttered, still looking at you, but not in a creepy way. It was more grateful and... something else. 

"Uh, um, thanks! I guess?" You responded, trying not to sound like a complete idiot. 

"So, I guess I'll see you tomorrow? Friend?" I asked. She nodded, although it was slightly hesitant. As you walked off, you felt her still looking at you, before she finally turned away, and walked off as well. 

Well... That was strange... You thought to yourself as you hurried out of the building, school bag slung over your shoulder. You felt slightly unsettled, but you still kind of liked Jess, and you thought she would make a good friend, so you didn't think much about it. Until much later...

The rest of the night was normal. You came home, your parents asked you how school was, you replied by telling them about the events from that day, apart from the bit about Michal. After all, you didn't want your parents becoming panicked about a near fight situation. 

You ate dinner that night, before you relocated to the living room to study and complete homework. Afterall, the final exams were coming up, and you wanted to be ready so you could graduate at the end of the year. After, you simply went upstairs, took a shower, and got into your pajamas. By that point, it was starting to get late, and you felt usually drowsy, which you found odd considering you never really got tired. As time went on you got sleepier and sleepier, to the point where you were practically falling asleep whilst standing. 

Eventually, you decided it was time for bed, and give in to your need for sleep. Saying goodnight to your parents, you stumbled upstairs, feeling more and more drowsy, like the energy was being sucked out of you.

You flopped into bed, turning off the light as the room was engulfed in darkness. You feel asleep peacefully and quickly, not noticing the presence just outside your window, that had been watching you...