Chapter 9

Wanda was suspicious. Five could tell that much. Every time he was within eyesight of her, she kept on throwing long glances his way. She probably didn't think he'd noticed, but he did. Luckily for him, Wanda hadn't acted out on this newfound suspicion, so Five was willing to let it play out, just out of curiosity.

Vision, on the other hand, turned out to be a robot, much like Grace. It wasn't hard to put two and two together, especially when he had originally spent a portion of his childhood with a robot mother. It was yet another close hit to home, but Five didn't allow it to bother him. Instead, he worked on a way to attempt to get back to his timeline. He had stolen a seemingly random notebook from the living room the other day, and he had resorted to writing down his equations in there.

That lead to where Five was now, seated in 'his' bedroom, faced away from the cameras and scribbling away at his maths. He had been careful to place his body in a position that from the cameras view, it would appear that he was sleeping. To top off his little illusion, he had relaxed his shoulders and evened out his breathing, so that FRIDAY would assume him asleep as well. He had strategically been hiding the notebook from her, and everyone else within the tower too. He had opted to keep it hidden within his pillowcase, along with the pen he had found in the kitchen.

Letting a small sigh escape his lips, Five shifted his body and quietly slipped the book into the destined hiding spot. Keeping up the act, he pretended to have just woken up, blinking wearily before stretching upwards with a yawn. FRIDAY called out to him.

"Good morning, Mr Five. Should I alert Boss of your awakening?"

Barely keeping in a roll of his eyes, Five answered with a short 'No' before clambering out of bed and padding his way out of the room. He knew that despite his wishes, FRIDAY would alert Stark whether he liked it or not. Before he could reach the living areas, though, an alarm blared through the hallway he was in.

Groaning as a headache began to flare up, Five supposed this was their version of a mission alert, as it had been for him and his siblings when they were younger. Going to take a step forward, Five suddenly stopped as a blinding light flashed out. He watched in annoyance as time slowed to a stop around him, the alarm coming to a sudden halt.

Five gritted his teeth. Alive and well, standing not even five metres in front of him, was the Handler. She leaned over to one side slightly as she studied him, plastering a sly grin on her face as Five suppressed the urge to shiver. He refused to show weakness, especially during a time like this.

"Ah, Five. Long time no see, hm?" She said.

"How the fuck are you still alive?" Five growled, getting into a fighting stance. A shrill chirp of laughter escaped the Handlers lips as she grinned at him in a feral manner.

"Que Sera, Sera, I suppose. Now Five, may I inform you that your new team of misfit superheroes are currently with the commission. I honestly thought your so called 'family' were going to last longer. Oh well," She waved a hand through the air, a look of nonchalance on her face. Five scowled at her.

"Oh come on Five," She pouted. "Let me have my fun. I believe that we can make a deal. If, you come with me, show us your new little band, offer some type of explanation, I will get you a briefcase back to your family! " She extended a hand towards Five, staring him down through her lashes. Five paused, debating his options.

"And you'll get me a briefcase with no time limit? No explosions, no tricks or ticks?"

The Handler scoffed. "Yes, Five. I'll present you with a safe briefcase. You'll be able to see it with your own two eyes. Now," She left the sentence unfinished, but the question hung heavily in the air. How badly do you want to get back to your family?

Already regretting his life choices, Five pursed his lips, lunging forward and clasping her hand in a tight grip. The Handlers lazy smile was the last thing he saw before he was enveloped in a familiar flash of light.

Straightening himself up, Five let go of the Handlers hand as soon as possible, wiping his palm across his shorts. Being in the commission again was not helping Five's mental state, he could tell you that right now. Swivelling on his heel to face the large window on his right, he took note of his surroundings.

Currently, he was situated next to the Handler, in a front row seat of the Avengers bound and gagged in their seats. A few of them gave him looks of betrayal, but he noticed a few disappointed ones. Wanda had respectfully been glaring at him the moment he came into view, and it was really starting to piss him off.

Turning back towards the Handler, Five began listing off whatever powers, strengths and disadvantages he knew of, eager to be done with this whole fiasco and back to his timeline. He had began to grow uneasy over the past few days, as he had no way of knowing his siblings current well-being at the moment.

As he finished off with the last of them, Five noticed that the Handler seemed a tad bit too happy for the current situation they were in. Turning an accusing eye on her, he scowled, aware of the Avengers listening in on their conversation.

"Why do you look so pleased. I made this decision for the sole purpose of getting back to my siblings. Now that I've upheld my end of the deal, it's your turn," He shoved his hands in his pockets and unintentionally hunched in on himself as he rattled off his demand.

The Handler giggled. "Oh, of course Five. It's right in there," She pointed a single digit towards the window and Five groaned. The briefcase was sitting there almost innocently, in the middle of the Avengers. Leave it up to the Handler to make things difficult for him.

He pulled on the fabric of space and time, ignoring the small gasps of surprise as he blinked into the second room. Setting his eyes on the briefcase, Five strolled forward and lunged for the handle, only for his hand to phase through.

"What the fuck." He hissed, turning to face the Handler. "You bitch. You promised to get me a briefcase if I told you about them," He jerkily shoved a finger in the Avengers direction, his eyes never leaving the Handler.

He warped forwards again, eyes set on the Handler, before being spat back out again onto the floor. His eyes widened as he mentally beat himself up in realisation. No wonder none of the Avengers had attempted to use their powers to escape. The whole room was what seemed to be power proof. The Handler called out to him.

"Five! Here's your briefcase." She held it up with one hand, a delighted grin on her face. "Just like I promised. A safe briefcase in front of you with your own two eyes. It doesn't even have a timer this time," Her lips quirked up into a smirk and he felt something snap in him as he threw himself at the window.

"God damnit!"

The Handler let out a delighted laugh, seemingly amused with his pathetic efforts.

"It's quite alright, Number Five. I just wish the best for you. I assume they do too, which is why I have collected some of your best moments and placed them into short clips for your little band to watch!" Her eyes gazed over the occupants of the room, and Five realised that they were all seated facing a plain wall. He chastised himself in annoyance. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

As if the Handler had read Five's mind, she smiled. "Five, please take a seat, and enjoy the show! Unfortunately, there's not much you can do, given your current circumstances,"

With a wink, the Handler pressed a button someplace in front of her, and the window went dark. Glancing back at the Avengers, Five groaned as he watched the metal gags fall from their mouths, as if they had just up and decided that they wanted to be useless.

Sensing the change, Stark opened his mouth to speak, yet was cut off as the wall in front of him lit up with a short bang. Three words shined down onto them, and Five knew he'd never forget the moment.

Number Five Hargreeves