chapter 2: the article.

"Who was that?" Asked Clary, I turned my head and saw she and Alec had poked their heads around the door from the other room.

"Just a friend of mine, nothing to worry about, biscuit."

"A mundane?" Alec questioned, he strode in the room and stood beside me, his towering height leaning over me.

"Yes."

"Magnus friends with a mundane? I never would have guessed." Jace strode out as well, Isabelle behind him. The four young warriors had heard the whole exchange though it seems only Clary and Alec had actually seen her.

"I think it's nice, how did you meet her?" Isabelle asked, elbowing Jace and he held up his hands in defense.

"Well, when the dear was young she attempted to steal from me. She came very close to succeeding and I rather respected her for it." I answered and went back to looking through the papers, I sighed and clicked my fingers and they began to organize themselves.

"Ha, good on her, girl's definitely got a set of balls on her." Jace chuckled, "She's got my respect already, trying to steal from the Magnus Bane." He chuckled.
"Thing is, she had no idea who I was, she just wanted something to eat." Jace was silent at that.

"She looked bloody awful." Alec muttered and I looked over to him, he was looking at his feet. As if he were scolding me for selling to someone so malnourished, so vulnerable.

Before I could respond, a paper landed in my hand and I looked down.

Car crash in small town leaves two dead, daughter orphaned.

"What's this for, might I ask?" I inquired before handing the old article to Isabelle.

"The Clave received information from a captured Circle member that the Circle had a hand in the accident." Alec explained.

"The two who died were Eli and Lily Cartwright, ex Circle members who were exiled by the Clave after the uprising. We have reason to believe their daughter is very much alive and somewhere in the city." Izzy said whilst scanning the paper, Jace took it from her.

"What makes you think she's in the city, the date on the paper says the crash was what... 9? 10 Years ago? She could be anywhere." I inquired, folding my arms and watched the four infront of me exchange glances.

"The Circle member the Clave captured, who gave us the information that the Cartwright's accident wasn't an accident, also said Valentine sent him to find the girl. And that Valentine was convinced she was in the city somewhere." Clary piped up from where she had taken a seat in an armchair by the window.

"What does Valentine want with her?"

"That we don't know, the Clave tasked us with finding her and bringing her to the institute to keep her safe from other Circle members Valentine may send after her." Isabelle offered.

"Ah ha, look, 'Their child, Y/n Cartwright age 7, sent to live at St Ivory Orphanage.' Bingo, we'll look at records from there." Jace held up the article and handed the paper to Alec.

"Do you have an image of the child? How will you know it's her?" I asked, walking closer to the paper in Alec's hand.

"Yes, there's a small image of the girl there, outside the orphanage." He pointed and I took the paper.

My eyes widened. I knew that face anywhere.