chapter 21: old friends.

<Y/n's Pov>

Magnus's Apartment, Greenpoint Brooklyn.

Friday, 11:01 p.m

I knocked on the door, silence. I knocked again. Waited a second and it swung open, Magnus's eyes widened. I felt a sudden surge of shame, it was outrageous of me to show up late in the night, not having contacted him in the past couple of days since he told me he was a warlock.

"Hey Magnus." I said, almost afraid to meet his eyes.

"Come, come in." He ushered me outside, away from the cold bite of the Newyork night. "What brings you here dear, especially at this time of night, is something wrong?" He asked and I sat on the sofa, he sat beside me.

"Magnus I came to apologize for not-" I swallowed, "for not coming sooner, I've just had a lot to process over the past week and I- I..." I broke off and he edged closer, draping his arms around me.

"It's okay Sweetpea, it's okay. You're okay though right?" He asked, stroking my head, I didn't reply and he looked down at me. "What happened?"

I suddenly unloaded the contents of the past few days to Magnus to listen closely, taking in every tiny detail. That was one of the many things I loved about Magnus, he always had an open ear when you needed to tell him something. We spoke for what felt like an hour and I felt so unburdened but something still felt twisted in my chest.

"You yelled at Jace?" Magnus thought out loud, contemplating the events of how I left the Institute.

"I didn't mean to, I think it's the withdrawal, I felt so angry, so hot. I was so angry at him I couldn't help it." I put my head in my hands, "I didn't mean to." I felt tears well up in my throat. Magnus stood and pulled out a small tin from his desk.

"Here." He handed me the small tin, "apply a little on your neck." I opened the tin and inside was a transparent cream of some sort, it didn't smell of anything. I did as I was told and felt the small burning in my chest fade until I never would have known it was there at all.

"Thank you, thank you Magnus." He only smiled and sat back down.

"So, tell me more about Jace."

"He only wanted to help Magnus, he's so considerate, he thinks things through. He's kind and he's there when I need him. I care about him, Magnus and it scares me. No words can fully describe the feeling I have for him." I confessed, the image of Jace's mischievous, teasing smirk playing in my head.

"And that's okay Sweetpea, if things were easy, everyone would do them. That's what makes these kinds of things special, they are one in a million and think- I think you and Jace are that one." I thought this over and Magnus and I continued to talk.

"Thank you Magnus, I must be getting back, I have to apologize to Jace. It's late too." And he nodded, standing and he hugged me.

"I'll create you a portal, it's not safe to be traveling home this late." I nodded and suddenly before me, he created a large purple door, "It will take you to the front of the Institute, get home safe Sweetpea."

"Thank you Magnus, for everything." I stepped through the portal and the next second, when I opened my eyes I was standing outside the gates of the Institute, towering over me.

I reached out for the gate but something hard made contact with the back of my head and my vision swam black, my entire body becoming limp and useless.