chapter 10: coffee in kitchens.

<Y/n's Pov>

New York Institute, Upper East side Manhattan

Tuesday, 09:45 a.m

Clary and I made our way down one of the long corridors of the Institute, one she claimed led to the kitchen.

Clary had explained the best she could the whole concept of runes and these things called 'Shadowhunters', that they- we- were half human half angel and we... killed demons, I didn't question it. I probably should have, well I am right now but for some strange, uncontrollable and random reason, I trust her. That everything she said made perfect sense, it made me feel- well it made me feel slightly normal in a world where I thought I was one nightmare away from falling apart at the seams. But this, this explained everything.

When I asked her where my parents fit in and why she, the two people she called Alec and Isabelle, and Jace were in my loft that day. She said it would be better if Hodge explained. Whoever that was.

"But why don't we get some food in you, I'm sure you're starving and I can really go for a cup of coffee right now." She got up from the bed and led me from the room.

I could hear people talking from another room that Clary was leading me towards, she pushed the door open and there in the kitchen were Isabelle and Alec.

"Ahh- you're awake..." Isabelle beamed, she had a mixing bowl in hand and a whisk in the other. Her long dark hair pinned up behind her head but it didn't look very stable as strands were spilling down in front of her face. "How are you feeling?"

"Concerningly fine." I answered skeptically and Clary chuckled, she put the kettle on then reached to place two mugs on the side board then moved to go around to the left, taking a seat beside Alec at the counter top stools facing Isabelle.

"Oh that's good, I'm glad. I'm Isabelle by the way and this is Alec." She held out the wisk to her brother and a pale drop of lumpy mixture fell on the sideboard, "Whoops."

"Nice to meet you." Alec said and held a cup of tea in his hand, nursing it gently watching his sister bake? Was she baking? It didn't look like it but I had never actually seen anyone bake before, it was messier than i imagined.

"I bet you're hungry, here." Isabelle moved towards the opposite end of the kitchen and placed a plate of sandwiches in front of where I had sat next to Clary by the counter.

Alec, not so subtly moved away from the plate though Isabelle didn't see to notice. "Alec, Clary tuck in as well, there's plenty." She smiled.

"Oh, I'm alright, thanks Iz." Clary said politely and got up to pour the now boiled kettle.

"I already ate." Alec said plainly, looking to the plate then to his mug of tea.

"I didn't make these by the way, Hodge did earlier whilst making Jace some tea with those leaves from the greenhouse freakishly early this morning before Jace left last night to the Dumort."

"I thought he was on lockdown after he got drunk, slept with Kaelie, then got into a bar fight at Taki's with her boyfriend." Alec said and my eyes widened.

"Is that a regular thing around here, like is that normal?" I asked

"Meh- Jace is about as predictable as Max on sugar." Isabelle added

"Who's Max?"

"Our brother but he's staying with our parents, they're away on business." She explained and Alec grabbed a sandwich, digging in. So I did too. "I thought you said you already ate." Isabelle inquired, going back to mixing.

"I lied." Her brother answered, causing Clary to laugh, I didn a little too and took another sandwich.

"I know none of you like my cooking-"

"So why do you do it?" Alec asked, cutting her off and Isabelle rolled her eyes, the two began to argue and I watched back and forth as they traded snarky comments. They had everything I imagined a sibling dynamic would be as I had often wondered what it would be like if I had a sister or brother. But I dismissed the thought.

"They love each other really." Clary said, sitting back down, holding two mugs of piping hot black liquid.

"What is this?" I asked, looking into it, stirring it with a teaspoon she had left in it.

"Coffee." She said and took a long swig, I looked back down and the warm steam looked so inviting, I took a sip.

"Oh my god."

"I know."

After Clary and I's fourth cup, I moved to put the kettle back on and Isabell slammed her hand down on the handle of the device.

"No- no more caffeine. Don't become her." She pointed her finger at me then Clary, she was smiling.

"Why? I'm amazing." Clary shrugged.

"But be warned, coffee has side effects..." Izzy removed her hand.

"Yeah, if you drink enough, you'll grow a pair of horns and a third arm." Alec joked and Isabelle shot him a look.

"It may or may not mess with your sleep pattern, keeps you up, that's all..."

"That may come in handy." I retorted and poured another cup.

"By the angel." We all turned to see Jace trudge through the doorway of the kitchen, his gray shirt covered in a thick black liquid. He dumped two long blades on the table and slumped into another stool beside Alec.

"Is that blood?" Isabelle asked.

"No, it's ketchup." He said, sarcasm dripping from his voice but Izzy didn't seem to mind. Jace scanned the table in front of him, "for whatever reason he deemed fit, Raphael is simply incapable of holding a cup of blood and insists on staining it on others favorite shirts." He mumbled.

He finally looked up but seemed to sit up straighter when his eyes slid to where I sat in my stool at the counter on the other side of Clary.

"Oh you're not dead." He then proceeded to pull the plate of sandwiches, which only had a couple left on it and he began to eat.