chapter 5: the theif.

<Jace's Pov>

Y/n's Loft, Midtown Manhattan

Saturday, 6:59 p.m

As soon as her full name left my mouth he features sunk, she stared in my eyes, as if she were in a trance. Her gaze then trailed down to my wrist and she remained silent as I dug in my jacket for the photo of her 9 year old self.

"Ah so she does stop talking." Alec commented and Isabelle elbowed him, he proceeded to shrug but i held the picture up. She was expressionless.

"Is this you?"  Silence. She took a deep breath.

"Where-" she took a step back, edging away from us, "You shouldn't be here- no- no, you can't do this to me again." She said all at once, as if she were reassuring herself, talking to herself instead of us. She had her eyes fixed on our shoes, it seemed like she was afraid to meet our gaze.

I slowly offered her my hand, reaching to touch her arm lightly, but she snapped back to reality, "Leave me alone." she whispered.

"But we need you to come with us, people are after you, we want to keep you safe." Clary smiled at her and it looked for a second that Y/n might smile back but it never reached her face.

"I've done well enough keeping myself safe." She paused, "Thank you for your concern but please leave." I wanted nothing more to reach out for her, tell her it was all going to be okay. I didn't even know her but I felt like as I looked at her, I also saw fragments of myself.

Suddenly, her small frame ducked out the open window quicker than I could blink.

"Wait!" I shouted but she didn't listen. I darted out the window frame after her and landed on the fire escape just as she did but by the time I was out, I caught the glimpse of her head sinking down the stairs and she was untraceable in the sea of faces in the Newyork street below.

"Shit." I banged my hand on the fire escape and ran a hand through my hair which had fallen into my eyes.

"Do we go after her?" Clary offered, the others had climbed out the window after us both.

"No, there's no point. She's invisible in that crowd." Isabelle leaned on the railing.

"Well that could have gone better." Alec said, folding his arms.

"Not like you did much to make it easier." I snapped at him, he looked at his feet.

"Sorry." He offered.

"No- I am, sorry I didn't mean to snap." I huffed.

"Why? Frustrated a girl resisted your charm?" Isabelle joked and shook my head, suppressing a smile.

"I think we need to visit Magnus again and see how much he knows."

New York Institute, Upper East side Manhattan

Sunday, 10:21 a.m

I was sitting at my desk in my room at the Institute, all of us were waiting for Magnus to arrive and give us a run down of Y/n Cartwright. I was flicking through her copy of 'Macbeth' which I had taken with me from her loft yesterday. She had annotated every little piece of the play and written it all in the margins. But one page really caught my interest, one comment at the bottom of the page.

Act 3 = tipping point, seeing things (schizophrenia?) I see things too. I think it's my head playing tricks on me. It does that sometimes. Makes me question if anything I see is real so I say things that are happening out loud. I'm pretty sure other people think i'm crazy but still trying to figure that out.