chapter four

chapter four
4.2 GPA

When Eddie passed by Arwen's table during lunch, he knew that something was wrong. The usual smile illuminating her face and brightening the very world around her was no where to be found.

He made a mental note to make time in between his meetup with Chrissy after school and the end of his campaign to ask her about it.

Arwen sat beside Robin, ashamedly, only half listening to what the girl was saying. She hummed, trying to acknowledge what her friend had been saying.

Her mind wandered, and this time she'd let it. Just this once, though. Future lawyers don't overthink... but she'd let herself think, just this once.

Her mind wandered to no where in particular, yet everywhere all at once. Her thoughts felt jumbled, her head heavy.

The chattering of the cafeteria, in which she would usually pay no attention to, felt louder than it ever had. Maybe that was true, and it was. Maybe the chatter was overwhelming due to the upcoming game.

It was all too much, yet not enough at the same time. Arwen felt lost, alone, in a sea of people. She didn't like it, and it was something she'd never felt before. It was something she never wanted to feel again.

A sudden crash brought her out of her daze. Instinctively, she turned her head to the source.

Arwen wasn't surprised when she discovered that Eddie was the source, stepping from his seat at the end of the table onto it.

"But as long as you're into band.. or science or.. parties." Eddie waved his hands around dramatically, stepping over his friends' lunch trays, being extra careful not to step on any food. "Or a game where you toss balls into laundry baskets!"

"You want something, freak?" Jason Carver shouted, eyes narrowing in disgust at the sight of him. Eddie stuck his fingers at the side of his head to represent horns, sticking his tongue out at Jason. 

Eddie caught Arwen's gaze, sending her a smile as he bowed at her before turning around and jumping off the table. "It's forced confirming! It's what's killing the kids!"

Arwen couldn't help but agree secretly, though she was aware that merely agreeing made her a sort of hypocrite. As she was a conformative of society as well.

In band, on the debate team, at every sports game (she knew if she wasn't in band she still would be at every game, she couldn't help that she loved the rush of being in crowd and the cheering surrounding her) as well as being a straight A student.

"Arwen?" Arwen hummed, tearing her eyes away from Eddie.

"Yeah, of course." Arwen leaned forward, gesturing for her to continue. "Continue."

"Okay," Robin leaned forward, mimicking Arwen's actions. Her lips curled into a sly smile as she raised her eyebrows, "What'd I just say?"

Arwen's smile fell, "Um.."

~~

"Hey, sweetheart." Eddie greeted, smiling softly as he took a seat next to her. Arwen mumbled a hi watching her feet dangle from the rooftop. Her palms dug into the concrete she sat on, gravel embedding itself into her palms, but she didn't care.