chapter six

chapter six
pop tarts

Arwen clung to Eddie's jacket, fingers digging into the material. Her hand snaked up his body, coming to rest over his mouth in an attempt to keep him silent. His eyes wide with panic, darting from her to the opening in the tarp.

Her chest pressed against his, allowing her to feel his heartbeat with her own. Eddie's was erratic, slamming against his ribcage screaming and begging to escape.

Arwen's was sure hers was the same, or maybe she was feeling her own. Her heartbeat matched his, as it usually did when they laid together. Though, she much preferred when they were laying in his bed in his trailer. Where he'd read to her, or let her braid his hair.  She'd read him to sleep when he'd have nightmares, which he had often. Nightmares about his father, and now she was sure they would both have nightmares about Chrissy.

She missed it, when it was simple. It had only been a day, maybe two? Arwen wasn't even sure at this point, the days blended together. Especially when she hadn't moved from this position. The fear of being caught and arrested.. charged for the death of Chrissy.

She knew it would happen, it's not like the cards were in her favor. Especially in a town like Hawkins.

The sound of the door screeching opened caused her breath to hitch in her throat. Arwen counted the creaking of the floor boards as people entered the boathouse.

One.

Two.

Three.

Four.

Four fucking people. Arwen squeezed her eyes shut as Eddie's sucked in sharply, holding his breath. 

"Hello? Is anyone home?"

Robin?

Her voice sounded on edge, yet familiar. Somehow, it offered little to no comfort to Arwen. There was no guarantee that Robin, and the three other mystery people, would be on her and Eddie's side.

"What a dump." A masculine voice commented, muffled through the material.

Steve. She barely recognized his voice, yet she could never mistake it for anyone else all at once. Countless trips to family video to see Robin and pick up a movie for the weekly movie nights with her dad, meant for lots of flirting from him.

None that she'd ever reciprocated. No, something always held her back from that. What that was, though, was a mystery.

Maybe Arwen knew deep down why she never flirted back, and why she pretended not to know that he was flirting in the first place, but she wouldn't ever admit to that.

Arwen bit her lip, heart skipping a beat at the sound of an oar being removed from the wall. She flinched, Eddie's grip tightening on the fabric of her shirt as Steve hit the tarp covering them with the oar.

"What are you doing?!" A younger, masculine voice said in disbelief. Arwen knew the voice was familiar, but she couldn't place it.

"One of them might be in here.." Came Steve's reply. Arwen could almost laugh at the look Robin must have had on her face.

"Then take the tarp of." The other boy suggested. Arwen's heart sank, frightened eyes turning up to look at Eddie.