chapter five

chapter five
shitty disney movie

"You've never done this before?" Chrissy's voice had a panicked undertone to it, her nails digging into the fabric of the van's seat.

The trees flew past the window as Arwen turned herself around in the seat to face Chrissy. "No, no. I haven't. But I'll still be there, and so will Eddie. And he's done this a lot. You'll be okay, I promise."

Eddie hummed in agreement, looking at her through the rear view mirror. "We'll start you light, okay?"

Chrissy smiled, barely, but she smiled. "Okay.."

"And we'll watch cheesy movies." Arwen grinned, gesturing to the backpack that sat on the mat at her feet. "I rented a bunch of them from Robin yesterday. There's a shitty disney movie?"

Chrissy seemed to calm down at that, her body relaxing into the van's seat. "Hey, what song is this? I've never heard it."

"Chrissy, no-"

"Well, Chrissy," Eddie drummed his fingers against the steering wheel, a cheeky smile crossing his face. "I'm glad you asked is Ozzy fucking Osbourne, sweetheart."

~~

"Hey, I'm gonna run to the bathroom. Will you be alright?" Arwen asked, gently squeezing Chrissy's hand.

Chrissy jumped, turning to look at her quickly. She smiled tightly, it didn't reach her eyes, and nodded. "Yea- Yes! I'll be fine, I'll just.. pick out a movie."

"Okay," Arwen smiled, pulling her lips in between her teeth as she stepped past Eddie who was sloppily picking up discarded rappers, mumbling an apology for the mess.

The truth is, Arwen was the only girl who he'd had in his trailer. Had there been girls he'd wanted to bring there? Sure, of course. He'd had passing crushes on plenty of girls, but none of them matched how he felt for Arwen.

No, none of them even came near how he felt for her. Not that she would ever find that out, though.

Arwen.. Arwen, she had a future. A bright one, and Eddie was destined to remain in Hawkins. He couldn't, he refused, to hold her back from that.  

She didn't feel the same, anyway. Eddie knew that, but in the off- one in a million chance that she did, it could never work. Girls like her never wanted guys like him, they were always a phase. Something that had to happen before she could settle down and be with who she was truly supposed to be with.

A boy who had a future, someone who could offer her stability and a good life.

He was sort of glad she would never see him as he saw her, because one, that means she would see him, all of him, for how he was. And two, he would only hold her back from her dreams.. and that's the very last thing he'd want to do.

The conversation Eddie and Chrissy held faded out as Arwen shut and locked the bathroom door behind her.

She sighed, eyes focusing on herself in the bathroom mirror. Her palms dug into the yellowed ceramic sink.

She tilted her head back and forth, examining her features. The thin walls provided little to no sound proofing, meaning she could hear the music that was faintly playing in the living room along with sound of Chrissy fumbling with the TV and VHS sets.