i | Before the Dawn

┌────── ⋆

┌────── ⋆. · ☆ · .⋆ ──────┐

Before the Dawn

└────── ⋆. · ☆ · .⋆ ──────┘

While it was the dawning of a new era for the citizens of Naboo, it was once again another adventure into the unknown for Cori'iana Sanandrassa, the departing Queen of Naboo. After all the pain she had been burdened with since becoming queen, Cori'iana had opted not to run for a second term. While she was well-liked by her people and likely would have been elected again, Cori'iana wasn't sure she could handle two more years of threats to her life or her people. While she was still loyal to Naboo, her heart wasn't in the place it had been two years ago when she had been elected queen.

Padme Amidala, as the people of Naboo had come to know her, was to be Cori'iana's successor. Cori'iana had fears about young Padme becoming monarch at only fourteen, knowing the weight and pressure that came with the responsibilities of a monarch. Cori'iana was only seventeen when she ascended to the throne and with her lack in years came a certain naivety. One that had been shattered mere weeks into her reign. She only hoped that Padme wouldn't be doomed to meet the same fate.

Cori'iana stood outside on her balcony watching the sun rise over Naboo. While there were many things about the job of monarch that had been unpleasant. Watching the sunrise or the night sky twinkle with stars from this balcony with the thundering of the waterfall in the background was one of her favorite things to do, especially after the suggestion from a friend. It brought peace to her soul and centered her.

For a moment, she closed her eyes and allowed the wind to ripple through her hair as she breathed deeply, finding her center.

"Excuse me, your majesty," a calm voice called from behind her.

After taking one last breath, Cori'iana opened her eyes and turned to see one of her handmaidens. With a soft smile on her face, she said, "Good morning, Scerra."

Scerra offered her queen a bow of her head before responding, "Good morning, your majesty."

Cori'iana sighed, folding her arms across her chest. "That's one thing I won't miss," she mused. "Always needing to be called your majesty. It's too . . ." She paused and crinkled her nose. "It's far too formal for my taste."

"You'll still be milady to me, milady," Scerra said with another slight bow.

The queen chuckled softly. "Then it looks like I'll just have to find myself a new title then, won't I?" She grinned at her handmaiden as her hands rested on her hips.

Scerra smiled for a moment, before turning more serious. "It's time to ready you for the ceremony."

The queen nodded her head slowly in understanding. Today was the ceremony where the throne would peacefully be transferred from one monarch to another. It had long been a tradition of the monarchs and Cori'iana had no plans to make the transfer anything but peaceful. The peaceful transfer of power was an example for the rest of the Republic to follow. It was also what Padme Amidala deserved. And it was what the citizens of Naboo deserved.