24. Redeem

"You will show no mercy this time! He must be punished for his crimes against the throne, against our people." Orsana Anteri squeezed her brother's hand, peering into his eyes as only a sister could. "Make your heart of stone, brother. Promise me, you will show Rava no mercy this time, for the kingdom of Chymer and for sister Rita. For all the atrocities dealt your family; for all the injustices heaped on your son, the Crown Prince Amer. All the Cerulean world has suffered at his hands, for his greed, for his gluttony... you shall redeem the Chymer name. Redeem our father's good name. Our name. Let the world know once more that Chymers are not takers but givers. Restore our values and their faith."

"You will have me kill him," Ovek whispered, astonished at the ask, "our own brother?"

Orsana tearfully looked away at the word, her jaws clenching and her fists balling. "He is no brother of mine."

Ovek turned to Orsana's husband and mother-in-law, a sinking feeling blooming in his gut. "Something's happened. Pray tell. What is it?"

Even Rea refused to meet Ovek's gaze, moving to console his wife.

"What did he do?" Ovek begged again. "Please, Orsana. I cannot make such a promise without knowing why your once warm heart now is indifferent to his death. What did he do?"

He could see the tears rolling down his sister's cheek, but she answered him not.

"Rea, please? What am I not seeing?"

Behind the curtain, Ovek's three children held their breaths.

"Our children," was his reply as Rea sighed, his shoulders dropping. A man defeated.

It was then that the new guests in their home realised for the first time that night—the home of Anteri lay silent but for the sulking adults. No laughter of children beckoned a smile upon their faces, no warmth escaped their cold, lifeless halls and rooms.

"Your children—?" Ovek felt a weight of a thousand tears press upon his chest, his sister's tears. "Where are your children?"

Orsana met her brother's gaze, unable to utter the words, 'They are gone.'

"What happened to our dear cousins, Rylene and Rodin?" Ursa uttered in shock, tugging at Amer's arm. "I've been wondering all this time why they were not around... whether they were real or if I imagined them... Are they? Are they?"

Amer sniffled and shrugged off her touch. "I do not know, but one can take a guess what Rea means."

"They're dead?" Attin asked, unsure if he felt anything for cousins he barely remembered. Had he and Rylene polished a plate of food together when they were young? The memory of stuffing his face with stew upon plate of stew surfaced in his mind. A young girl with golden eyes that sparkled like fairy dust glittered before him. "Do you think this Rava had something to do with it?"

"Our Uncle?" Amir corrected. "Yes. I dare say he did. Rylene was your age." He eyed Attin briefly. "And Rodin..."

"He'd just been born?" Ursa recalled vaguely ever having held a baby in her young arms.

"Aye... this is all my fault," Amer mumbled, no longer able to stay hidden behind the curtains like a child. He was no longer a child. The adults were already talking about the injustice dealt him for his perceived crime, and now his cousins were gone because of an exile he cost his family? Enough was enough. Before Ursa or Attin realised what he was about to do and stop him, Amer pushed apart the curtains and strode towards the elders. "I want to help. Please. Let me help."

Ursa and Attin, looking like a deer caught in the torchlight, scrambled after their brother. "And us! We want to help too."

***