Chapter Ten: Drive Fast

Chapter Ten

Drive Fast

Melody's P.O.V

Consciousness.

Unconsciousness.

I floated between the two. Carried between them, unsure of which had its grasp on me. It wasn't unpleasant. It was bliss. Like being cradled in a pair of soft arms. Completely unaware of the chaos that surrounded me. Bliss. Pure and utter bliss. All things good have to end eventually though, and this bliss was ending. I could feel it slipping away. I didn't want it to leave. I didn't want to wake up.

Muffled voices surrounded me. I didn't call out to them. I didn't move. In one last effort to gain relief, to gain bliss, I lay still. In hope that I would feel that wonderful euphoria once more. Of course my efforts were in vain. The once muffled voices were now clear, and the pain in my left arm was returning with a ferocious vengeance.

My eyes opened. All voices in the room fell silent. Alan leaned over me, his face creased in concern.

"How are you feeling?" He whispered, his hand caressed my cheek softly.

"Like shit." I replied, my voice hoarse. I gently pushed his hand away, giving myself room to sit up.

I was lying on a table in a dark room. My muscles were stiff and ached with every movement. Blood stained bandages covered my arm and restricted me from bending it. The sight of it made me nauseous. I swung my legs over the side of the table and leaned forward. The word shit wasn't strong enough to describe how bad I felt. A gentle hand pushed me back into a lying position on the table.  I shut my eyes as the nausea began to dissolve.

"Are we back at the police station?" I mumbled. Grateful that I was beginning to feel better.

"No, we're still at the school." He stated. I groaned. I remembered everything that happened at the school. I wished that I would have woken up at the police station, it was safer there.

"You lost a lot of blood and you passed out, it would have been suicide to carry you back in the state you were in." He explained. I opened my eyes and looked at him. Dried blood painted his pale face red. I leaned forward once again, this time moving at a much slower pace. Thankfully no feeling of sickness grabbed me.

I slid off the table and nearly collapsed. Alan caught me before I fell and helped steady my balance. I leaned against the table for support and gestured for him to let me go. Cabinets cluttered the room and left little space for movement. A dark figure stood leaning against the door. His eyes watching me intently. A dose of fear circulated throughout me but quickly disappeared when I realised who it was.

"Are we safe here?" I asked, my voice still hoarse.

"For now," he stated "I don't think any of the infected have made it into the school yet." Carl stepped forward into the little light the room provided. His grey eyes deep with concern. Confusion tugged at me.

"The infected?" I thought aloud, barely whispering.

"That's what the news called them, the sick people." He explained.

"That man. In the class, was he infected?" I asked, my arm ached just from the memory of him.

"I don't think so. I think with everything that's happened, some people might have gone a little..." He stopped there and sighed. He pinched the bridge of his nose and shook his head.

"I managed to stitch your arm up but the school didn't exactly have the best medical supplies. The station has a better Med kit, the sooner we get back there the better. Alan's told me how bad it is outside but my squad car is just in the parking lot. If we get there we should be fine." He explained. My brain struggled to keep up with everything, I shut my eyes and simply nodded, understanding the gist of everything he said.