Chapter Fifteen: Playing in the Rain

I hope you enjoy!

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Chapter Fifteen

Playing in the Rain

Melody's P.O.V

"Hold it right there!" A voice yelled as I was pushed against a wall. Three men surrounded me as a large black gun was pointed towards my chest.

My heart beat rapidly in my chest as I stared at the three stern faces looking down at me. I dared to look down at the gun and regretted that choice almost instantly. The man holding it was wrapped in military garb with his index finger wrapped around the delicate trigger. One small movement could end my life forever. That wasn't fair. One squeeze of his goddamn finger and my life would be over, everything I had fought for would have been for nothing. I would have killed all those sick people for nothing. Anger overwhelmed me and I soon found myself pushing the three men away from me.

"Get your hands off of me!" I yelled. Alan, Robyn and Carl appeared from the corner of the building and froze at the sight of the three men. Each of their outfits looked identical and each carried a heavy black gun. And they each pointed them at Alan, Robyn and Carl.

"Don't move!" The man in the middle shouted. Alan and Carl raised their hands in the air while Robyn merely crossed them in defiance.

"Officer Carl Hornsby! These civilians are with me." Carl said, digging in his pocket and pulling out a small badge.

"I don't give a fuck who you are! Just don't fucking move!" His harsh words scared me. This wasn't exactly the welcoming party I had envisioned. The man in the middle unhooked a small radio from his jacket and held it up to his lips.

"Aye' Doc we got some people here for you to look at." I vaguely heard a mumbled response on the other end of the radio. My mind was racing with any and every possible scenario. Surely they were going to help us? Weren't they?

"Doctor Hammond is gonna come and have a look at the four of you, if you pass the test you can come inside where it's safe." The man with the radio explained. He was looking at each of us like we were diseased and he would catch something if he came near us.

"And if we don't pass?" I asked.

He shrugged his shoulders and smiled at me, his eyes dancing with evil delight. He was enjoying this, I could tell. The other two soldiers just looked bored with a mixture of fear, like they were waiting for something bad to happen. Robyn cleared her throat and we all looked towards her.

"Is one of yous gonna tell us what the fuck is goin' on?" She asked, swapping her gaze between each soldier. The three men glanced at each other, as if they were having a silent conversation. The man in the middle shook his head and looked back towards Robyn.

"If you pass the test we'll tell you what we know." He stated.

"Well what's the test?" She asked. Her patience was wearing thin and I could tell. It would only be a few more minutes before she blew up in one of their faces.

"You'll see when the Doc gets here." He stated. Robyn rolled her eyes and tapped her foot loudly. I didn't understand why they wouldn't tell us anything until we passed this 'test'. But I guess with everything that was happening I shouldn't bother questioning the little things.

After a few minutes of silence passed a frail old man in a white lab coat shambled towards us. His wrinkled hands held four long needles that were already half filled with a red liquid. He walked up to Alan and stabbed one of the needles into his arm without notice. Alan scrunched his face up in pain but quickly composed himself. The doctor drew his blood and soon after removed the needle from his arm. He held the needle up close to his face and stared at it intently for several moments.