Chapter Six: Breaking and Entering

Chapter Six

Breaking and Entering

-------

Alan's P.O.V

I sat still in the cold chair, watching her chest rise and fall as she slept. Melody. She seemed so... different? Is that the right word? Different? There was something about her that I just couldn't put on my finger on. What would she have been like before all of this? A shy girl who was afraid of flying? No. There must have been more to her. If only it weren't for the circumstances I could have asked her for more information about herself. But a question like that would just seem stupid now. I broke my gaze away from Melody and glanced back at Robyn slouched on the table. Her drastic change of personality worried me. Then again a situation like this is more than likely to change someone. 

I stood up from the chair silently and walked out of the small room. Zoey and Nick were curled up in their sleeping bags, sleeping soundly. How could any of them sleep? Did they not see what was out there? It's like a horror movie come true. I stepped into the darkness of the large room and listened intently. With each step the commotion from outside grew. I pressed on and stopped when I reached the door. The noise hadn't decreased in the slightest, if anything it had increased. I could imagine it clearly. Those deranged people, throwing themselves against the door mercilessly. What did they want from us? Our money? Our lives?

I pressed my hand against the door and shivered. I could feel the wood weakening under my fingertips. Surely they would have to stop soon. They needed to sleep sometime. I gasped as I heard an audible crunch from the door that echoed around the room. Sweat forming on my forehead, I leaned in closer, squinting my eyes in the darkness. A feeling of dread settled over me when I saw that what I feared was true. I traced the long crack in the wood with my finger and jumped back in fright when I heard a heart-stopping scream.

I turned my back on the door and pushed the crack to the furthest corner of my mind where I wouldn't have to dwell on it. My mind was focused solely on the scream. And the many other screams that continued to grind out from Melody's sleeping bag. I kneeled down next her and sighed in relief when I saw it was simply a nightmare. I gripped onto her shoulders and lightly shook her, trying to save her from whatever it was that was haunting her mind.

Her eyes sprang open and frantically began searching the darkness. "Shh, you're okay Mel, I've got you." I cooed, desperately trying to subdue her sobs. I hugged her to my chest and let her tears soak into the fabric of my shirt. I looked around and saw Zoey and Nick standing by the door, they breathed a sigh of relief in seeing that it was a false alarm and disappeared into the other room. Robyn had broken down into another round of silent cries. I attempted to comfort her earlier but she pushed me away with a string of curse words. I turned my attention back to Mel.

I rocked her back and forth like a mother would to her child and gently pat her back. After a few moments she quietened down and finally ran out of tears to shed. I couldn't help but feel relieved. I never knew how to act in situations like these, which always lead to me saying the wrong thing. Which always lead to a very awkward situation. She pulled away and looked up at me with a tear streamed face. "Sorry," she muttered in a voice so low I almost missed it.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I asked, afraid the answer would be yes. She scooted away and leaned her back against the wall. She shook her head and wiped the tears away. I blew out a large amount of air I didn't know I was holding in and lay down on the cold cement floor.

"What's happening?" She whispered. I leaned back up and looked at her. A expression of pure torture covered her face and left her looking like a hopeless child who was lost in the supermarket. I crossed my legs in front of me and closed my eyes.