Chapter Twelve: Bitten

This is just going to be a short chapter of what happened to Robyn and Zoey while Mel, Alan and Carl were passed out in the car. It's gonna be really short though, so I can start on the next chapter and continue the story.

I hope you enjoy reading!

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Chapter Twelve

Bitten

Robyn's P.O.V

"They sure have been gone awhile." I sighed, talking to no one in particular. After her little outburst Zoey wasn't exactly in the mood for chatting. I leaned in closer towards the window and looked up at the sky. Dark clouds swirled together as thunder roared. It wouldn't be long before rain followed.

I sighed again, looking around the boring office. Zoey walked into the room, a steel pole in her hand. She walked over to the door and flung it open. I threw myself from the chair I was sitting in and ran after her. My bare feet slapped against the linoleum floor and echoed around the quiet room. Before she had time to walk away I grabbed her shoulder and spun her around.

"The hell you think your going?" I asked, struggling to keep my voice down.

"I'm going to the city." She stated, frowning at me. What the hell was she frowning at? And what the hell she going to the city for?

"Were you born stupid or somethin'? There's probably thousands of them in the city!" I yelled, dramatically throwing my hands in the air. I have a very low tolerance for stupid people, and yet I'm always surrounded by them.

"The government has probably evacuated everyone there! I'm going!" She turned around and walked down the steps, the steel pole firmly gripped in her hand.

"Uh uh! I don't think so! I'm sick of you little ass white girls always thinking you know best! You coming back inside and we waitin' for the others to come back!" I skipped down the steps and wrapped my fingers around her arm, pulling her back.

Without hesitation or notice she smacked the steel pole against the side of my head. I hissed in pain and fell to the ground from the force of the impact. What the hell was she thinking! Rubbing the side of my head where she hit me, I pulled my fingers back and scowled at the blood that covered them. I clenched my fists and pouted my lips, vigorously attempting to gain control of my rising anger. I stood up slowly, my nostrils flared as I breathed heavily.

Without thinking I stepped forward and shoved her to the ground. Before she had time to get up I knelt down and scooped up the metal pole she had been carrying.

"You wanna see what it feels like bitch?" I smacked the pole against the palm of my hand as I looked down at her. Pure hatred shone in her eyes, but I didn't care. As much of a bitch as she was I wasn't cruel enough to let her walk off to her death.

"I'm sorry. But they've been gone for more than a day. They're probably dead." She spoke slowly through gritted teeth, as if choosing her words carefully.

"You wanna join em'?" I hissed, pointing the pole at her chest. She huffed out a breath before standing up. "You gonna come back inside now?" I asked, watching her carefully. I hadn't had the chance to observe her face closely before. Now that I did I noticed that she didn't look very old, late teens maybe.

"Yeah whatever." She muttered, purposely avoiding eye contact. I smirked at her attitude as I turned around and walked up the steps, swinging the pole back and forth.

I shook my head as thunder roared in the sky. What the hell was she thinking? The sooner the others got back with the copper, the better. A scream startled my thoughts and caught me off guard.

"ROBYN!" Zoey shrieked, her screams suddenly filling the air. I spun around on my heel and gasped at what I saw. A woman had her arms wrapped around Zoey, her teeth sinking into the flesh of her shoulder. Zoey's arms flailed around as she desperately tried to bat the woman off her back.

I pounced towards them, running around them I swung the pole in the air before bringing it down on the woman's back. I attacked her with a barrage of strikes but she refused to loosen her grasp on Zoey. Losing my patience I struck her temple with as much force as I could muster. The metal pole left a dent in her skull as she fell limp to the ground. For good measure I kicked her furiously until her body rolled into the bushes, disappearing from sight. Zoey swayed back and forth and she observed the blood that coated her hands. Her body shook violently as a stream of tears ran down her cheeks.

"She bit me! The fucking bitch bit me!" Zoey screamed hoarsely as she clutched onto her shoulder.

I stood still, rooted to the spot. I watched her hesitantly, my kind racing with a thousand thoughts.

"Ah shit." I muttered, my chest rising and falling as I struggled to catch my breath. I watched her slowly and carefully, debating what I should do. She caught me looking at her, her eyes widened as she stepped back.

"I'm fine, I'm not going to turn into one of them!" She exclaimed, fresh tears welling in her eyes as she observed my expression of disbelief.

"I've seen it happen babes." I stated quietly, leaning my head up in the air. Ain't nobody got time for this shit, I thought bitterly.

"No! Y-you said that they died and then they turned into one of them! I'm not dead! I'm fine!" She cried, tears tumbling down her cheeks. Although I wasn't entirely convinced she did have a point. I only saw them turn after they died. I sighed, shaking my head.

"There's a first aid kit inside, go get it." I huffed, throwing the pole into the bushes . She nodded her head and ran up to the station doors. She paused with her hand on the handle. Slowly she turned around, her lips quivering and her hands clenched into small fists. She looked at me carefully, her eyes brimming with unshed tears.

"Don't tell the others."

Biting my lip and exhaling a breath of air, I nodded. She disappeared inside and left me alone. I trudged up the remaining steps and looked back at the small street, ensuring that I wouldn't be followed. Black smoke rose up in the distance and mingled with the dark sky. Small flickers of flames could just be seen above the buildings surrounding the station.

Just what we needed, a fucking fire.

I shrugged it off, the oncoming storm would probably put it out. I walked back inside the small building, silently praying that Zoey would be fine. Hesitantly I walked down the hallway, searching for any sign of her. I jumped in the air as the entrance door slammed shut. I spun around and dropped to the floor. I could barely hear someone shambling around, followed by two soft thuds. Why does this shit have to happen to me?

Cautiously I stood up and stepped away from the safety of the wall. Mel was slumped against a wall, covered in blood. Alan and a stranger lay sprawled out on the floor, their clothes ripped and stained with blood. I walked closer and gaped at the state they were in.

"Well where the hell have you guys been?" I asked under my breath as I placed my hands on my hips.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Thanks for reading guys!