Flesh and Stone

"Up. Look up."

I was still recovering from the fall. It was the strangest sensation. One minute I was jumping, and next I was falling through the pitch black out of nowhere, like the floor had just disappeared.

My body hit solid metal with a good amount of force, and I was immediately rolling to my feet even though I could barely breathe. I had the wits body-slammed out of me more than once an expected to recover, so returning to my feet after impact wasn't too difficult.

I was still reeling, though. I looked around, and saw Amy rolling onto her side and pushing herself up slowly. We were all scattered on the hull. It took no time for me to realize it, because the hatch I had been eyeing minutes before now was at my feet.

"Are you okay?" River was asking as Amy finally made it to her feet.

"What happened?" Amy asked.

"We jumped."

"Jumped where?"

"Up. Up. Look up!" The Doctor repeated.

"Where are we?"

"Exactly where we were."

"No we're not."

"Move your feet," the Doctor ushered me out of the way and sonicked the hatch in front of me.

"Doctor, what am I looking at? Explain." Amy was still dumbfounded, staring upwards.

"We're on the ceiling," I said. "The ship that was above us, remember?"

"Ah, someone's using their head," the Doctor said. "See Amy, the ship crashed with the power still on, yeah? So what else is still on? The artificial gravity. One good jump, and up we fell. Shot out the grav globe to give us an updraft, and here we are."

"Doctor, the statues," Father Octavian observed them above us, frozen as they reached up towards us from the floor. They look more like Angels now."

"They're feeding on the radiation from the wreckage, draining all the power from the ship, restoring themselves. Within an hour, they'll be an army."

The hatch opened below us.

"They're taking out the lights." He gestured upwards. "Look at them. Look at the Angels. Into the ship, now. Quickly, all of you."

"How? Doctor!" Amy jumped forwards ad he dropped into the hatch, and I leaned over as well. There he was, standing on the side of a tube that for us, went straight downwards."

"It's just a corridor," he said, exasperated. "The gravity orientates to the floor. Now, in here, all of you. Don't take your eyes off the Angels. Move, move, move."

Amy went in first, and River and I went next, followed by the clerics and their bishop. We made a motley little crew, all sardined in this little hall together.

"The Angels. Presumably they can jump up too?" Octavian asked.

"They're here, now. In the dark, we're finished."

Farther down the corridor, a bulkhead started to close.

"Run!" The Doctor yelled, and we all streaked into action.

But we were too slow. It was closed long before we made it.

"This whole place is a death trap," said Octavian.

"No, it's a time bomb. Well, it's a death trap and a time bomb. And now it's a dead end. Nobody panic."

There was a crash against the door out that sounded like stone.

I swore.

"Oh, just me then. What's through here?"

"Secondary flight deck," said River.