The Lodgers

"Well, we've landed," said the Doctor.

This last flight was particularly brutal - I was still helping Amy to her feet.

"It's just the matter of whether you've got us to the right place. You aren't very good at that."

"Oi," he frowned at me. "I always get us to the right place."

I nodded. "Sure. 'Come and see the Church on Castle Rock, girls, the oldest and most glorious of the eight-star faith there ever was. Oh, is that a Walmart?'"

"Oh, come on, that was one time."

"And how about when you said you were taking us to see the hanging gardens of Babylon and we ended up in the cold vacuum of space?"

"Stop, you'll hurt his feelings," Amy laughed, coming up behind me and wrapping her arms around my shoulders briefly.

"To be fair," he said defensively, "We did end up at the hanging gardens eventually. I just overshot."

Amy's laughter egged me on.

"How far did you overshoot, would you say, in... how about kilometers? Or would light years be more adequate?"

The Doctor seemed unenthused and went to check outside.

While his back was turned, Amy kissed my cheek. I looked at her, surprised. She only smiled.

"Got to grab my jacket," she said, and then, louder, "I'll need it if we're in the farthest reaches of space!" She glanced at the Doctor's retreating form.

"Yes, yes, you're both so clever," he said sarcastically, without glancing back.

I turned and stole a kiss from her before she could escape, partially obscured by the console's center column.

She squeaked a little and looked over my shoulder at the Doctor to make sure he wasn't looking before pulling me back in for one more. I smiled against her lips, and slid my hand into her hair.

"Okay, okay," she gasped, finally pulling back. "I've got to go." She pressed her lips against mine one last time and then flitted away, leaving both of us a pair of grinning, fumbling messes.

I skipped up to look over the Doctor's shoulder, ready with a half dozen jokes to crack if this wasn't the right place.

It didn't appear to be.

"Amy," I called over my shoulder, "Do you suppose the fifth moon of Cindie Colesta is meant to have a Ryman's?"

"Oh, god," the Doctor lamented.

There was no time for her to respond, or even to come back into view.

Before anyone could do anything, there was a massive jolt, like air but stronger, that threw the Doctor and I off the TARDIS threshold and tumbling over each other into the grass.

The door slammed shut behind us and the ship began to dematerialize.

We both shouted Amy's name, and lay there for a moment in utter confusion once the TARDIS vanished.

"Well, shit," I said frankly.

"Language," the Doctor said, and got to his feet, brushing himself off.

I rolled my eyes; Great, now I'm stuck with him.

He scanned the spot where the TARDIS used to be with his screwdriver, and walked forward waving his hand like he expected it was just invisible.

"Well," he said after he'd finished with the circus tricks. "Better find out where we are."

*