Meeting Between Worlds

In the New London captain's office: Oswald prepares for their visitor's arrival. He asked Ronan to cook the best food and brew their best tea.

Oswald: Do you think he will be able to tell us about that structure and the army that came out of it?

Ronan replied.

Ronan: Perhaps he would, sir, but you must know that he is very grateful, yet we expect that he will not tell us everything.

Oswald heard a knock on the door. It was probably them.

Oswald: Come in.

James and Atticus stepped inside the office, and Oswald gestured for them to have a seat.

Oswald: So, now that we are all seated: shall we proceed?

Oswald poured some tea for Atticus.

Oswald: (I/L) First of all, what is your name?

Atticus: (I/L) Atticus.

He replied.

Oswald: (I/L) So, Atticus, how would you describe your country?

Atticus: (I/L) It's not a cold, barren wasteland, that's for sure.

Oswald: (I/L) I don't understand.

James: He may have come from that strange structure, a portal that he calls the gate.

Oswald: What you are saying is unbelievable! Are you sure it's not a storm shelter?

James: The structure we examined looked like an endless road of darkness.

As both of them are having a conversation, Atticus is just sitting there, not understanding a word they're saying.

Oswald: Alright, I guess it's time for me to introduce myself.

Oswald: (I/L) My name is James Oswald, and no, I'm not related to the James you are with now.

Atticus nods and takes a sip of his tea which tastes heavenly. Atticus was about to ask a question when Oswald beat him to it.

Oswald: (I/L) What nation do you serve? Because based on your looks, you are either a scout or a soldier.

Atticus: (I/L) You are very much correct. I was sent here to locate the missing expedition that was lost when going in the gate. As for who I serve, I serve King Duran of the Elbe Fiefdom. I am part of an allied army sent here to investigate the first gate.

Oswald was a bit uneased by the word "army" because that would suggest they hold a significant fighting force. And as far as medieval army numbers go. He could only guess that they have thousands of soldiers at the ready which means we are outnumbered. But he was a tad bit curious about the phrase "first gate" were there more gates on the other side?

Oswald: (I/L) First gate?

Atticus: (I/L) We decided to go to Dalmus Hill first because it was the closest, the second one being Alnus Hill.

Oswald nods and calls for one of his assistants to start taking notes.

Oswald: (I/L) Tell me about this king of yours.

2 hours later

After an intense interview by Captain Oswald, which lasted hours, James had already slept through most of it, and Atticus's brain was tired of all the questions. Suppose he hadn't received an education from the king himself. He wouldn't have any answers to Oswald's questions.

Oswald: (I/L) Okay, I'm sorry for exhausting you with all these questions; it's just your world is unbelievable. It's a world we could have only imagined a mere decades before.

Atticus: (I/L) So this world used to be a lush green land?

Oswald: (I/L) Indeed. We have many theories as to why this came to be, but the only possibility is that all of this happened at once. Or, if Tesla is to be believed, an Asteroid struck our planet not large enough to cause our extinction but large enough to cause climate change.

(Start shift Neuter)

Oswald: (I/L) That also reminds me. In our city, we don't do anything for free. We work hard and earn our keep by contributing to the city. In this harsh reality, we have to do anything necessary to survive. This is why it pains me to say this, but until you get back, you will have to work for us.

Atticus was now fearful of what kind of work they will give him. He knew all of these wonders were powered by coal which means he might be sent to the coal mines.

Oswald: (I/L) Don't worry. This is mainly for political reasons. You will be assigned to a cookhouse' try to take this as an opportunity to get to know the community.

Atticus was relieved. Despite understanding their hardships, he didn't want to work in the coal mines. And so he was dismissed and put to work in the cookhouse.

James: (I/L) Don't worry! You will just have to serve the food though you should learn to speak English.

Atticus nods, and they leave the office. James is walking with Atticus to the cookhouse while talking all about themselves. James learned Atticus has a wife and two children waiting for him back home. James never knew what's it like to have a family. But he knew every father worried for their children's future. Well...not every father.

Atticus: (I/L) How do your people endure such hardships? If the Empire were put in your place, even their thousand years of existence won't save them.

James: (I/L) What is this Empire anyway?

Atticus: (I/L) They are the largest and most arrogant of kingdoms. The Empire is always hungry for more, and when they fail, they just blame the people and their vassals.

James: Bunch of assholes, I say.

Cookhouse

*door opens* *slam*

Worker 1: Hey, boys! It's our boy Atticus.

Worker 2: Eyyy, we missed you. What took you so long? Breakfast began like 10 minutes ago.

Atticus: (I/L) What did the rough men say?

James: (I/L) They said they missed you, and they're also complaining that breakfast began 10 minutes ago.

Atticus: (I/L) Tell them my utmost apologies.

James: (I/L) You should try to learn our language if you are going to stay a little longer with us.

Atticus: (I/L) I could use magic, but my expertise is not sufficient enough to learn your entire language.

James: (I/L) Magic?

Engineer: I'm sorry to say, but we have been waiting for 15 minutes now.

James: (I/L) It's best you get to work so I can head out now. Just give them their fill then all is well.

James leaves the kitchen, and Atticus grabs his first bowl.

...