22. Selfish

AVARIA HAD BEEN leading them deeper and deeper into the Black Castle, Azalea couldn't take it anymore. She didn't know how she and Elizabeth were going to be able to get out of there. But what she did know was that she would rather kill herself than kill Elizabeth. Her best friend must have figured her thoughts since she grabbed the brunette's hand and gave her a good squeeze.

"This is your room," Avaria said as she stopped in front of an iron gate. Azalea's hand was still in Elizabeth's. Avaria glanced at them, her eyes stopping on their hands. It must've been a trick of the light but Avaria's eyes seemed to soften at the sight. She looked at them and whispered in the softest of tones, "Good luck."

But then she must have gotten back to herself since her gaze hardened and she looked at them intently, "No attachments whatsoever."

She left after that, walking from in between them, breaking their hands that had been looped together. Azalea's eyes had followed the woman's retreating form. She turned back to Elizabeth and nodded. Elizabeth said, "We're both coming out of there."

"Absolutely, no doubt," Azalea said as she continued to stare at the daunting iron door standing in front of them. Elizabeth sighed, she stood right beside Azalea. The Maine girl chuckled again before the mood turned somber.

"—But, if both of us can't get out— let me finish." Elizabeth said, Azalea grit her teeth, "I need you to promise me that you'll take care of Anna. Because god knows that girl is crazy."

Azalea was tempted to say something. But it seemed that Avaria hadn't left them. Since her voice bounded from deeper down the hallway. She shouted, "The sixth stage starts inside the room."

Azalea couldn't reply to Elizabeth's statement. But she could work against the statement. Azalea stepped forward, pushing open the gate. The rusted iron door opened to reveal a room. Flooded with bright light from all of its corners. Racks of weapons on the sides. The floor was lined with white lights. Elizabeth said from behind Azalea, "Oh shit."

"Damn right," Azalea said as she entered the room. The floor lit up their faces in an ominous manner. She turned to look at Elizabeth, chuckling when she saw how the girl looked. She pointed at the girl's face and said, "Wow. I never thought you'd look like a cheap horror movie ghost."

Elizabeth's face fell slack, she sneered, "You don't look any better, two-dollar vampire."

Azalea gasped dramatically, trying so very hard to forget about the weapons that sang to her. She said, "I cannot believe that you would call me a vampire. That's too far Beth, too far!"

Elizabeth sighed as she grabbed a hold of Azalea's hand. Pulling her hands closer to herself, she looked at the girl that was shorter than her by a few inches. She whispered, "I need you to not hesitate."

"Eli—"

"No, Okay just listen to me here Azalea. You cannot hesitate this time, because this time if you don't kill me they'll kill the both of us. Or worse only you— ok? And, and I can't have that— I can't— I can't take that burden." Elizabeth said, her voice shaking slightly. The blue eyes that were happy all the time were filled with tears, "Because I'm not strong enough— but you are. And you are strong enough to make sure that I don't get killed in the most ruthless way possible. That I get to go in peace."