Chapter 6 - Spring 24

"What the hell is a 'flower dance?'" I said, waving the envelope at Sam from the front door.

Ever since Sam realized that he could come here, instead of waiting for me to emerge from the farm, he practically hasn't left. For the past week or so, he's made himself quite at home—sleeping on my lumpy couch that is undoubtedly even more uncomfortable than my bed, and occasionally being helpful around the farm. Key word: occasionally.

"Oh!" Sam said, between mouthfuls of Cheetos. "It's an annual event down at Cindersap. The bachelors and bachelorettes all pair up, in these ridiculous outfits, and dance to some song."

I groaned. This is something that happens every year, and one day was the most notice Lewis could give me?

"So we can dance together, then?" I asked.

"No can do, Sadie," Sam said, with a sigh. "Penny and I have been dancing together since the dawn of time."

"Come onnnnn," I pleaded. "You can't leave me dateless!"

"You could dance with Alex."

"Who does Alex normally dance with?"

"Who do you think?"

"That's exactly why I can't," I said, rolling my eyes. "You can't dance with me, just this once?"

"Sadie, Pam will kill me if I leave Penny out to dry. She'd probably get Gus to poison my drink next time I hit the Saloon. You don't want that, do you?"

I crumbled up the invite, and threw it at his face. He laughed as it flew right by him.

"So what is this 'ridiculous outfit' you speak of?" I asked, already dreading the answer.

"Oh, shit," Sam said, sitting up abruptly. "You're gonna have to get Emily to tailor yours. I forgot you, like, just moved here."

I stared daggers at him, causing him to fidget uncomfortably until I looked away. "I think I'll just sit this one out."

"Sadie Simmons, no you will not," Sam huffed, launching himself off of the couch, grabbing me by the arm, and storming out of the front door.

Sam, although a string bean, was at least twice my size. Despite thinking that I was more muscular than him—thanks to the farm work—I was not doing a great job escaping his grasp. Practically dragging me behind him, my feet started touching the ground less and less as his stride began to speed up. The gentle breeze of the morning started to feel like a storm at sea—the sharpness of the air paralyzing me as we continued—now practically in a sprint.

"Where on earth are we going?" I choked out as the trees of Cindersap Forest whizzed by.

"Emily's, duh," Sam yelled breathlessly, taking an acute left turn after passing Marnie's ranch. I stumbled, struggling to keep up.

"Take it easy, up there!" I screamed, just as Sam came to a sudden halt in front of Haley and Emily's house.

"Shhhhh!" Sam hissed, cupping a hand over my mouth. "If my mom hears us out here, she's gonna want us to come over for dinner. Unless you want to be fishing all day trying to get a bass for her casserole, you better not let her hear you."

I stood straight up and flashed Sam a salute, earning me a slap on the arm. "Come on, dumbass. Let's get this over with—I'm choosing to spend a day with Haley for you. That means something."

I rolled my eyes at his comment, and knocked on the door. A pang of nervousness chimed in my stomach, maybe because I hadn't seen Haley since her birthday, or maybe because there was a chance Alex would be there, too.