Chapter 11 - Fall 16

It'd been a little over a week since Alex and I's late night encounter, our typical dynamic only shifting to dance around Sam's growing suspicions. Deep down, he knew what happened, and despite his theories being met with constant denial, he didn't need a confession. He just knew.

The times in which Alex and I found ourselves alone were few and far between, and with Sam's eyes peeled, another after-hours rendezvous was out of the question. Moments of solitude were soaked up by heavy silence—with so much left unsaid, where do you start?

I wondered how Alex felt—a notion that was all too familiar. Is he angry about the argument we had beforehand, or was it simply foreplay? If I hadn't shot back at him and just admitted my mixed feelings about Josh, would he still have pursued me? Who has feelings for me: his heart or his dick? What if—

"Sade," Alex said softly, tapping my shoulder. Through the window, Haley and Sam were deep in the pumpkin fields, both extremely focused on harvesting the perfect crop. The Stardew Valley Fair was today, and the pair insisted that they could procure a winning grange display. While, for me, it fell second to reminiscing about Alex and overanalyzing Emily's behavior, I could tell it was important to them—this farm had become theirs, too, and they deserved that recognition.

"We should talk," Alex sighed.

Suddenly, I was aware of my breathing, or lack thereof. My heart began to beat faster as I felt color flooding my face, nervousness seeping through my pores.

"Yeah, sure," I said nonchalantly, not even so much as looking over at him. "What's up?"

Hesitation polluted the air; the awkward stillness that stagnantly surrounded us was something I'd grown used to.

"I've thought about that night every day," he blurted out, his eyes still glued to the field.

"Yeah?" I croaked out, immediately kicking myself for the strained reply. Everything I should've said barreled through my mind, my thoughts moving at a million miles per hour. I have too, Alex. I've been thinking about that night since the moment I laid eyes on you—imagining what it would be like to be looked at by you—to be admired by you. I would do it again right now. God, I would do it again right now.

"I'm sorry that I asked about Josh," he said, his gaze finally meeting mine. "I shouldn't have. Of course I can't expect you to be over him. I just wanted you to be, like..." his voice trailed off as he scanned the room once more. "I don't know, honestly. Just forget it."

"Alex," I whispered, placing my hand on his cheek. "I don't want to think about Josh anymore. He's affected me for long enough."

"But what he did, Sade, it's...it's cruel. Anyone would be hung up over that."

I took a deep breath, trying to escape his words—unwelcomed pity now engulfing me. "You know that saying, the sky's the limit?" I asked as I moved my hand away, confusion spreading across his features.

"Yeah, it's every elementary school teacher's favorite damn quote. What's that got to do with anything?"

"Josh is a huge, vexing ceiling, Alex," I grumbled. "The sky can't be the limit if you can't even see the light of day."

Alex slowly nodded along, his eyebrows furrowed as the statement settled in.

"I've been through a lot with him, yes," I sighed. "But I found the strength to move forward because of you. Because of Haley. Because of Sam. I would gladly get hurt a million more times if it meant eventually finding you guys."

The words sounded painfully cliché as I spoke them, but the opportunity to dwell on it quickly dissipated as Sam burst in the front door, gasping for air.