Chapter 8 - Summer 28

For the millionth morning in a row, I tiptoed over sleeping bodies and mounds of blankets. Fresh, cool air surrounded me as I stepped onto the front porch. Taking a second to bask in the serenity of being alone, the rhythmic song of birds and sounds of grazing animals serenaded my ears. As I slowly inhaled, the white noise of the morning quickly fell second in volume to a loud grunt to my left.

"Shit," Alex huffed, two bulky dumbbells falling from his side and bouncing off of the dirt. Sweat glistened on his forehead and seeped into the crevices of his abdomen, giving his body a blinding glow. His breaths were short and shallow as he ran a hand through thoroughly dampened hair.

"What are you doing up?" I sighed, leaning over to calm down my suddenly soaring heart rate. The hours of six to around eight were my few moments of peace nowadays, and Alex's presence was definitely an unexpected disruption.

"Dunno," Alex said, leaning over to grab the dumbbells once more. The veins in his neck began to become more prominent as he slowly lifted them into the air, struggling to straighten his arms. "Just woke up early and couldn't fall back asleep. It happens."

The past few weeks had been filled with sneaky glances and sly comments between Alex and I, a dynamic that was excruciating to endure and non-existent to the others. While I knew that the secrecy was intended to hide us from Haley, if there even was an "us," I wanted more. I wanted him to want more.

"Are you okay?" I asked—a question that had become more routine the more I began to overthink our situation.

"I'm fine," he groaned in between reps, once again letting the weights fall to the ground as he sat up. "Why are you so paranoid?"

His eyes burnt holes in mine, and I let my gaze wander elsewhere to relieve the tension. I examined him laying on top of the shipping bin—a view that would be hilarious if it was anyone else. Instead of focusing on the way that the container could barely hold up his torso, it was his body catching my eye. My thoughts ran wild at the idea of his figure plastered to mine that night, at the idea of what could've happened if Sam hadn't come back for us.

"My eyes are up here, Sade," he sneered, pouring a steady stream of water into his mouth from a bottle resting nearby. The extra dripped down his chin, which was swiftly wiped away by a dirt covered, calloused hand. He flung a hand towel over his shoulder and started to walk towards the front door, only stopping when we were mere inches apart.

"I know you like what you see," he whispered, pushing past me into the house.

"What are you doing?" Sam's voice rang out from behind me, emerging from inside before the door could even shut from Alex's entry.

"God, Sam," I groaned, still recovering from the interaction with Alex. "You startled me."

"Well, good morning to you too, sunshine."

"Shut up."

"Will do."

"What are you doing up this early?" I asked, glancing down at my watch. 6:35 AM. I guess the world just doesn't want me to have peace today.

Sam answered with silence. I rolled my eyes. "You can talk now."

He let out a breath he had seemingly been holding. "I've got an appointment with good ol' Dr. Harvey this morning, so I figured I'd get an early start for once in my life."

I nodded as he gave me a pat on the back and started walking towards the bus stop. "Don't forget about the Dance of the Moonlight Jellies tonight!"

——————————————————

The beach bustled with life as the townspeople began to flood in for the event. The sun had almost disappeared behind the horizon, the blue of the day shrouded by smears of pink and orange. The shrieks of Jas and Vincent echoed across the area as they whizzed past, playing some sort of game that completely enveloped their attention. The parents were gathered where the sand met the dock, while the younger adults sat with their feet dangling off of the pier.

"Attention, everyone!" Lewis boomed into a microphone, capturing everyone's attention. Darkness had completely overtaken the sunset, lanterns illuminating the water below.

"Thank you for coming, and welcome to the Dance of the Moonlight Jellies!" he exclaimed, earning a few hoots and hollers from the crowd.

"As most of you know, this is an annual tradition here in Pelican Town," he continued. "The end of the season marks a migration period for the Jellies, so we are gathered here to send them off."

Despite hearing Lewis's speech every single year, the eyes of the townspeople lit up while listening to it. "The Moonlight Jellies are rumored to have a mystical aura, one that is particularly potent for aquatic life forms. Every year, their passing through Pelican Town symbolizes a new chapter of life; change."

I listened in awe as the legend of the Moonlight Jellies continued. "They are led by the Rare Green Jelly, who represents honesty and nobility—whoever it approaches during the migration is deemed to have a concealed truth revealed."

"It's true," Sam hissed beside me. "Last year, that little shit swam right up to Seb. Two days later? He was caught throwing rocks at Linus's tent. That was a year long operation. Soiled. Ruined. By that damn jelly."

I rolled my eyes at the comment and continued casting my gaze towards Lewis.

Before he could continue, gasps arose through the crowd. In the distance, a swarm of glowing pink blobs slowly began to approach the beach. Behind them swam the Mythical Green Jelly, the one that exposed Seb for his immature antics. Well done, Green Jelly, I thought to myself.

As the herd approached, an eerie, neon glow reflected onto the faces of those surrounding me. While everyone whispered and pointed, choosing their favorite of the pack, my eyes stayed glued on the Jelly of Truth, or whatever Lewis called it. I could feel its energy gravitating towards me, and Alex could feel it too—I could just tell. Standing to my right, I could feel his eyes on me once again, as if trying to see through my skull and into my brain.

As the initial crowd swam underneath the dock, the green jelly drew closer. Haley reached around Alex, elbowing me and nodding her head towards it.

"Oh, God, Sade," Sam sighed as my fate became seemingly inevitable. "I hope you don't have anything to hide."

I gulped, and I could feel my face getting hot. Luckily, with the hot pink glow casted onto each of our faces, it had to have been impossible to tell. And trust me, I examined Alex's face for any sign of uneasiness. Nothing.

How could a truth that wasn't even quite true come to light? Is it implying that maybe something will happen soon, and then we will get caught? Or does it think that Alex's feelings for me may finally come to light, instead of just empty flirtatiousness via sneaky glances?

"Oh shit!" Sam screeched, snapping me out of my trance. My vision focusing back on the ocean, I noticed that the Green Jelly had made a sharp left turn, and was now heading towards the other dock.

For some reason, my chest tightened even further once I saw the Jelly's final destination.

Emily.