Tulin, The Young Marquis

Zelda cut through the kitchens to the door that led out to the backyard. Cado, who was on the verge of being swatted at by a disturbed Magda, quickly took the opportunity to get up and follow his master.

The duo circled around another hall until they reached the back door. She thrust it open and out they ran to the fence.

Stuck between two fence posts, hanging dangerously low over the rose brambles was the little white rito.

"Oh my goodness, are you alright?!" Zelda asked, running over to him.

He lifted his feathered head in the direction of her voice, watching as she ran to him.

"Yes! Get me out of here, please!" He exclaimed, wriggling back and forth trying to get himself free. "I'm gonna get pricked by the roses!"

Zelda rushed over immediately, assessing what she should do before grabbing onto him by the waist with one arm and pushing open of the fence posts he was stuck between with the other.

"Hold on to me," she said, "this won't hurt, just stay still and we'll have you out soon enough."

He nodded, grabbing onto her shoulders with his little wings.

"How'd you even get stuck in here?" Zelda asked him, pushing the fence post.

"I was trying to pick a rose for my dad. I thought I was tiny enough squeeze through the fence posts, but I guess not," he confessed. "My name's Tulin by the way."

Zelda stopped for a moment, inhaling a small gasp. "You're the duke's son?!"

"Sure am. I'm the marquis! I live at the castle."

"So, then how'd you get all the way out here to the countryside? No offense, but I thought ritos your age couldn't fly."

Tulin shrugged. "I caught a ride on a wagon."

Finally, after forcing the fence posts apart wide enough, Zelda managed to pull the little marquis out.

Cado let out a celebratory bark.

"There you are!" She sighed happily, setting him down on the ground and rubbing his feathered head. "Safe and unstuck."

She wandered over to the rose brambles and plucked a flower off, selecting one with no thorns.

"Here," she told him. "A gift for your father."

Tulin took the little flower in his tiny wings, eyeing the ruby red petals. He gently ran a feather over their softness.

"Gee, thanks!" He chuckled. "Now I just gotta find my way back to him."

Zelda looked out over the garden wall, before kneeling down to his level.

"Tell you what," she began. "I've got laundry to get done in the village, so I'll take you home; how's that?"

The little marquis' eyes lit up.

"Okay!" He chirped, ecstatically hopping back into her arms.

Zelda wasn't expecting it, and nearly fell, but she quickly wrapped her arms around him, supporting his weight before standing up and laughing.