chapter fourteen

Lexa was beet red seeing Clarke in the bed, shirt ridden up in her position and a provocating eyebrow raised towards Lexa. "Are you gonna come?"

"What?"

"It's been a minute and you're just staring."

"Oh- oh yes, of course. I don't know how to do this."

"Don't know how to do what? Sleep with someone?"

Lexa went even redder.

"You put your body next to mine and sleep," Clarke explained, the corners of her lips pulling up into an amused grin.

"Yes. Of course."

"Thank God won't Mrs. Blake see us behind closed doors," was Clarke's only comment as Lexa curled herself beneath the covers.

Everything smelled subtly of Clarke and Lexa couldn't help burying her nose in the pillow. Her blush was subsiding, the heat in her face going back and because the mattress was so nicely soft and the blanket was so fluffy, she immediately felt calmness flood her.

That calmness was going quite quickly when Clarke slid an arm around Lexa's waist and spooned her from behind. "Clarke?"

"You okay with this?" Clarke asked in a mumble, her warm breath against Lexa's neck and of course she could do nothing else but be okay with it.

"Mhm," she hummed, afraid that she wouldn't get words out.

"Don't blush."

Lexa would've liked to laugh at Clarke, if she could have had. They needed to practice though, she repeated to herself. If she'd cuddle Clarke now, it might make her more resistant against blushes over holding hands in the future.

"You're cute," the blonde said with a smile against Lexa's skin and as Lexa laid there stiffly, her chest fluttering, Clarke's breathing went softer until it eventually fully evened out.

Lexa herself didn't sleep for what seemed like an eternity.

-

Lexa woke up in the middle of the night to a dry mouth and an impossibly softness. Everything around her was soft. Under her body the mattress, above the blanket, in front of her Clarke, under her arms Clarke, under her hand Cla-

Hold up. Lexa jolted awake suddenly, her eyes opening fully at once but more than that, she didn't dare moving.

How had they swapped positions? Why was Clarke so close?

Her back was pushed back into Lexa's front, their legs entangled and-

And oh God.

Lexa's cheeks looked like a firetruck feeling the warm softness beneath her fingers. Way softer than the rest of Clarke's body and way too inappropriate to hold as tightly as Lexa was doing it.

Fuck. That was her business partner. Why had she even agreed to sharing a bed like that?

She went even redder feeling a hardened nipple press into the center of her palm through the shirt of Clarke's pjyama. What on earth was she supposed to do? Move her hand and wake Clarke up? Loosen it slowly?

Yes. Clarke had to be asleep, going by her regular breathing and the late time. Carefully, Lexa's fingers loosend around Clarke's breasts and stiffly hung in the air, undecided where to go now.

Clarke grunted in her sleep and her chest twitchted, arching towards the missing warmth. Lexa quickly put her hand on Clarke's stomach and closed her eyes. If Clarke woke up now, she would be quiet and sleeping and unaware of everything

God. Lexa would never sleep in a bed with Clarke Griffin again.

How the hell were her breasts so freaking soft anyway? Within those few minutes at most, Lexa at forgotten her thirst completely.

Her thirst for water, that was.

-

The flight went early the next morning, but Lexa's inner clock had her waking up well in time. After the Clarke incident.

The good news was, Clarke slept like a stone. She had probably not noticed anything that night. Hopefully not. The bad news was that Clarke's inner clock... ticked a little differently. If it existed at all.

"I don't wanna get up yet," she groaned, burying her head in her pillow and how she laid there, softly curled against her own blanket with blond hair overflooding the pillow, it was extra hard for Lexa to finally drag her out of bed.

"I made breakfast," was the phrase that did it in the end. Clarke slumped to the kitchen and her face fairly brightened seeing the scrambled eggs and toasts. Her mood too improved as breakfast went on.

At least she had her luggage ready. Except of course that one thing she still needed, the one bag she had yet to pack and the one toothbrush she stuffed into the side of her backpack. Eventually, they did come too late for Lexa's liking.

"Still half an hour early, I don't see the problem. We're very, very, very on time," Clarke said with half her focus, the other half on the airport shops. Book and newspaper stores passed, bakeries, everything and nothing stores and whatever else was interesting for travellers on the go. Clarke, obviously, got stuck in the book and newspaper store.

"I love those. They have all the comics I loved as a child and that have never appeared to me afterwards," she went on dreamily going through the rows.

"Clarke. I don't mean to ruin your nostalgia but we really, really need to go now," Lexa said and when it didn't meet a reaction, she softly tugged Clarke outside.

They only left with three comics and a book.

They also indeed were the last in the line to board, only in front of a big family where the children apparently wanted all but that what the parents wanted.

"Are you afraid of flying?" Clarke asked as they waited, plopping a gummy bear into her mouth. Lexa had no idea where she had snatched that bag from.

"Me? Well, the risks are known to me and sure in my mind, but not more than in a car or on a train. I also don't like the environment aspect of inland flights or flights in general. But irrationally afraid of it, no. You?"

"I don't like the take-off and landing. The way the pressure is on my ears and everything sort of shakes. Or winds that make the plane shake. What if the pilot fell asleep or anything? No, not really my thing," Clarke said as casually as possible, but the almost aggressive chewing of her poor gummy bear didn't get past Lexa's notice. Once the bag was empty, it were her lips that had to endure the chewing procedure.

"I got you these," Lexa interrupted the woman's obvious anxiety the closer they got to the actual plane.

Clarke's eyes fell upon a yellowish package, green writing on it and ugly, blue dots all over it. Mr. Bubblebees Bubble Gum, it said and Clarke nearly fainted. The idea of flying was out of her mind instantly.

"How did you get these!?" she asked excitedly and carefully took her favorite chewing gums. The one that she had only ever found at her gasstation store.

"I found the gasstation I was quite sure you were talking about by accident. I went inside just to check and they had everything crammed full with chewing gum at the front. Enough of a description for me to try at least," Lexa smiled.

"Oh I love you. Thank you," Clarke exclaimed and pulled Lexa into a tight, surprising hug.

Lexa would have reacted with embarrassing stuttering if it hadn't been their turn to get on the plane. She was red nontheless.

She really, really needed to get her blood under control. Otherwise all their efforts would be in vain. And it wasn't like there was a reason for all these blushes anyway.