chapter fifteen

Lexa and Clarke spent most of their flight revising the most important things and talking about the following two weeks. That Clarke was clinging to Lexa's hand all the time and certainly not for practice purposes, Lexa didn't mention. She just tried to distract the blonde.

In exchange, Clarke didn't mention that the soft pink never fully left Lexa's face holding Clarke's hand over the flight. At least now, even when she intertwined their fingers, Lexa's blush was only obvious if you knew to read it.

Clarke was obsessively, anxiously chewing on her gum through the whole flight as well. She was spilling everything that was on her mind with a nervos laugh and Lexa had never seen the calm, composed girl so jumpy.

"So, biggest fear flights?" she asked casually and Clarke shrugged.

"I would take a 24 hours flight alone, next to someone stinking and taking up my space over finding a big, black spider in my bed."

"Oh me too."

"What's your biggest fear?"

"Next to spiders?"

"Yeah."

"Oceans. Deep waters. They're so creepy. I don't know how people voluntarily swim in a dark, endless, undiscovered liquid housing so many dangerous predators and monsters. I mean I like water, you know, the view and the beach is great and swimming is amazing. But I stick to the shore or pools."

"Really? I always wanted to be a mermaid as a kid. I loved the ocean."

"I mean if you were like the queen of the water, could see everything in bright light and would be friends with the animals I think I'd get your point. Still. It's just scary."

They got carried away from that to Ariel to Disney movies- Lexa had only watched Frozen once. Clarke couldn't believe it. No. Other. Disney. Movie.

Except Moana, Lexa somewhen remembered. Clarke just waved her attempts off.

"As soon as we're back home, we're having a Disney movie marathon," she said determined. "No discussion."

As I was saying, they got carried away to Disney movies, princesses, fairy tales, old mythical monsters and somewhen Clarke's head was resting on Lexa's shoulder- no, Lexa's cheeks weren't just a subtle pink anymore- and Lexa was telling everything about greek mythology and its tales that fit into the rest of their flight.

California was hot was Lexa's first thought getting off the plane. Her choice of clothing was definintely not appropriate for the the weather. New York had cooled down after that thunderstorm and not heated up again, but California- a volcano. A fire. Boiling water.

The air flimmered and buzzed and with jealousy, Lexa watched Clarke's flowery dress sway in the too light wind.

But, of course, Mrs. Blake was rich. Of course there was luxury. Luxury in form of a private limousine that was perfectly cooled and had iced drinks.

The driver opened the door for the two women, made sure they were comfortable and then disappeared to the front of the car driving on. Inside the car, Lexa's leg was trembling and her fingers were pulling at the hem of her shirt, but once they were outside, once the driver had helped them out of the car and Mrs. Blake welcomed them, she was another person.

Her usual work attitude shone through heavily, confidence radiating off her and she looked as though she had no doubt about both their fake relationship and getting the partnership.

"Mrs. Blake," she greeted politely, shook the elder woman's hand with a firm grip and as they walked along a palm-framed path towards the main building of the hotel resort, she went on about how grateful they were for the opportunity.