Chapter 3

It's dinner now, and it's my turn to make it. Every Saturday night it is one person's turn to make a homemade dinner for everyone. We typically spin a spinner to see who's turn it is, as in, we actually have a physical spinner with everyone's names taped on it and every Friday one of us spins it. After you get picked, they take your name off the spinner.

I of course was picked, and I have no clue what to make. I can't even choose what I want to eat at a restaurant, now I have to not only make it, but feed it to everyone else  Should I chose something safe, or go out on a limb with this.

You know what, I'm making lasagna.

Heading down to the kitchen, I run into Nat.

"Whatcha making?"
"Lasagna"
"Sounds good, need any help"
"Sure"
"Ok, I'll be down in a second"
"Thanks Nat"
Nat. You may think that that's just what Clint calls her (I've met him in Shield and here, we've never formally talked about it), but I call her Nat too. She said I could of course, but I think I would've anyway if she didn't. You see, I know her birthname, it's Natalia, but I'm not going to point that out, by pointing that out, I would have to tell her how I know, and if I tell her how I know, I would have to tell her about my mother. If I tell her about my mom, I have to tell her about my past, and that would be chaotic.

I could call her Natasha, but sometimes when I try, it still almost comes out  as Natalia, so it's just simpler.

Any interaction that happens around others that include Bucky, Nat, or me, are awkward. Around those two I get reminded of my past, and their pasts, and if something's slips out in front of other people. Then it's even more chaotic to talk about. I don't like keeping big secrets like these, but I know that I'm not going to get the reaction I want from all of them. So all of them don't need to know. I have thought about telling Bucky though.

While my inner monologue was progressing, I managed to finish dinner. Dinners where we all sat at a table together were always interesting between all of us.

You have Steve who is trying to bring Bucky into the conversation, Bucky, who is trying to answer but is really awkward in the setting with everyone and keeps eating, and Sam, who instead of trying to bring him into the conversation, is throwing insults and comebacks every once in a while with Bucky.  You have Tony who is talking and making inside jokes with Rhody, Rhody who is just laughing,  and Nat, who is talking science with Bruce about his latest project. The you have me, who is sitting in-between Nat and Bucky, who isn't actually fully in any conversation tonight. I talk a little with Bucky about the food, back home up against Sam, and ask about the food, occasionally investing myself in Bruce's project convo and making a few nerdy jokes here and there. I like to see him and Bucky smile, they don't do it often.

Sooo, how's everyone liking it so far? I'm trying to update as much as I can but writers block was hitting me hard yesterday. If you have any ideas or critics let me know down below.